food for Red footed torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
awhile ago i found a great list of foods for dessert dwelling type of torts,greeks and russians.

But i was wondering if any other r.f. owners had a list of foods they feed. I dont know if the list i have would also be good for my r.f.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Every other day,I feed greens(collard,mustard,turnip,dandelion,radish).Every second or third day,I feed fruits,such as papaya,mango,prickly pear,plums,cantaloupe,honeydew (banana maybe once a month). It depends on what is in season and what I have growing in the garden. Once a week,I give them some softened lowfat dry cat food sprinkled with calcium(about 1/4 cup each for my adults). I'm not saying this is the only way to feed,but I've had good results.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I feed about the same...Grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, dandelion leaves, curley endive, escarole, and turnip greens. This is in order with the highest in calcium first. I don't feed the cat food any more since he goes outside and finds worms and slugs and who knows what else. But now that he's inside, I give him some boiled chicken every now and then.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
terryo said:
I feed about the same...Grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, dandelion leaves, curley endive, escarole, and turnip greens. This is in order with the highest in calcium first. I don't feed the cat food any more since he goes outside and finds worms and slugs and who knows what else. But now that he's inside, I give him some boiled chicken every now and then.
I havent been able to find grape leaves, where do you get yours?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The Tortoise Library link in my signature has an article on Red-foot care that has a list of foods you can look over.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Madkins007 said:
The Tortoise Library link in my signature has an article on Red-foot care that has a list of foods you can look over.
Fantastic information! I got it all printed out and into my "Bert" Folder. Exactly what i have been looking for! thank you :)

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I agree, Marks list is the best. I carry it with me :)
I'm not sure where you're from but where I am there are a lot of grape vines in peoples yards. I have a friend who has one in his yard and I can get the leaves right there. If the season is right that is :p
Not sure where else you could get them. I have been trying to figure that one out myself.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm sorry....I should have said that I have three grape vines. I collect lots of the leaves in the Summer, and dry them good and put them in plastic bags with paper towels. They least a long time like that. the bought the grape vines in Home Depot a few years ago. They grow very fast.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A lot of ethnic grocery stores, like Mediterranean stores, carry grape leaves and some other really cool greens and fruits.

I have not been in one yet, but I have been told that 'tropical' ethnic stores often have some of the unusual foods that Red-foots can get in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.