Food - indoor housed

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
so I didn't even give it much thought... have been giving my indoor housed 1yr old sulcata a salad mix of dandelion-collard green-mustard green... he's only like 3".. I place about a cup of the mix on a saucer in the morning and a new mix late afternoon.
I know I need to get him some other plants/grass to graze on, but basically my question is ... how often should I be offering him food on a dish?
I found contradictory info on the web... a lot listed in that "ojai project" ... and basically says you shouldn't overfeed them? Or have food available all the time??I didn't even think that was possible??? It's greens??? Can you really overeat on salad :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We know there's lots of contradictory, wildly inaccurate and outdated information on the internet which is why TFO exists and thrives. Forget the rest of the web; you'll get all you need here :)

Feed your tort as much as he wants to eat as long as it's the right stuff.

General guidance is to start with a mound the size of the shell and feed more if it's all eaten.

Your tort's diet is weedy leafy greens and grass will be added as your tort gets bigger.

Sulcatas can't digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, carrot and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Make a list of the greens that grow around you and those that you can buy and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Sprinkle a tiny pinch of calcium powder on food three times a week - no more as you can overdo it.

The wider the range of foods you feed now then the less problems you will have as you go on.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
As long as he has food he can "graze" on throughout the day, that's what he needs. Follow the above advice as it's vary crucial to keep a varied diet and get weeds and grasses mixed in asap :)

Fresno, CA
Perfect!!! yes... I did see that list on this site and started to make a "what to go get' list :) ... I am terrible at gardening!!! Weeds.... no problem! haha...
and little "Charlie" is quite the eater.... he just munches and munches... wanders around... then munches some more....
and then I was like 'what? limit him on qty???? don't feed him everyday??? are you crazy???? ... just didn't seem right.
And yes this forum is the absolute BEST!!!! ... but you know how it is when you are just poking around for info and then you run across data that makes you second guess yourself...... that why I reached out to you guys... and thank so much !!! I am so appreciative!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It doesn't matter whether they are inside or out, the dietary requirements are the same. Grass, weeds, leaves and succulents will provide them with the correct balance of fiber, nutrients, calcium, and the correct calcium to phosphorous ratio. Grocery store greens will not.

Please give this thread a read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I wrote it specifically to address your question.

Fresno, CA
It doesn't matter whether they are inside or out, the dietary requirements are the same. Grass, weeds, leaves and succulents will provide them with the correct balance of fiber, nutrients, calcium, and the correct calcium to phosphorous ratio. Grocery store greens will not.

Please give this thread a read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I wrote it specifically to address your question.
Yes! you have written very helpful 'stickys'... they have become my Tortoise Bible :) thank you Tom!! I was just questioning the 'frequency'..... or 'amount' to make sure the tort was eating .... and if there really was a 'too much'... or shoot... even a 'not enough'... to make sure they were consuming proper amounts.... and if that was even a thing? I figured... they would 'graze'... and just chow down when needed.... and my responsibility for having him 'captive' (inside or out) ... was just to make sure HE ALWAYS had it readily available?
Now I just have to figure out how to get some live plants for his nibbles;).... start seeding some grass in a planter box or something... then transfer..... or to start... pick up some of those already sprouted plants from the store. I see them more at the organic marts... maybe try with that.
We do have a 'lawn' ... but like you said... don't trust it if you have gardeners or a community where it might be sprayed. The lawn we have is sprayed for fertilizer and bugs... so that is a no go. I see you say that really any lawn will do, so I will try sprouting some in a special area like a fescue or Bermuda , as that seems to grow pretty easy here in California.... unless there is something you recommend to start sprouting for a 'not so green' thumb :D

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
unless there is something you recommend to start sprouting for a 'not so green' thumb :D

I've tried all kinds of grasses and seed mixes. No grass mixture works better than this one:
https://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html
They also have non-dormant alfalfa and lots of other good seeds on this site. I like the endive and arugula, and many others too.

Tyler's Testudo mix thrives everywhere I've tried to grow it:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

Fresno, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it's a good pick for you... then I'm ordering some!!!
And while I wait for that to arrive and then start growing....
would it be okay to use the "herbal tortoise hay" from Carolina pet supply? And if so... mix with something? Or just dry?

I use the herbal hay from tortoisesupply.com. If the one from Carolina is similar, then I would crumble a bit on top of some pre-wetted greens and mix it all up. Start with a very small amount of the herbal hay at first and gradually work up to more over time as the tortoise gets used to it.

Fresno, CA
Currently serving up those "grocery store" greens you don't care for ... so I will put some of that mixed with it like you suggest.... as I wait for my seeds and thus... the planting and growing
This is a pic of the store stuff I'm using:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4