Food other than dandelions, plantain, clover, etc.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
I'm looking to introduce my tortoise to some new food this summer, and I was wondering if anyone can identify some plants with pictures. My tortoise is already used to eating different variations of dandelion, plantain, clover, chickweed, and flowers like hibiscus. I often see plants in the park that I cannot identify, and never pick them because I'm afraid they could be harmful to my tortoise.

If anyone wouldn't mind maybe sharing some photos that they already have saved up, I would appreciate any help.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I use the App called "Picture This".
Just take a picture of the plant with your phone and I will help you identify it.
Then I use Tortoise Table to see if it's safe.
It's not 100% but does a good job identifying most everything I have tried.
If I have any doubt I don't feed it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use the App called "Picture This".
Just take a picture of the plant with your phone and I will help you identify it.
Then I use Tortoise Table to see if it's safe.
It's not 100% but does a good job identifying most everything I have tried.
If I have any doubt I don't feed it.
I second that, if your not to sure with the results from picture this, just don't feed it. It's pretty accurate usually though.

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Hi Franco...I know I am new here and to torts, but I would be concerned about feeding anything from a public park. Wouldn't there be a good chance it has been chemical fertilized and covered in pesticides?

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Hi Franco...I know I am new here and to torts, but I would be concerned about feeding anything from a public park. Wouldn't there be a good chance it has been chemical fertilized and covered in pesticides?

Oh definitely not here in NYC. They don’t spray chemicals because of amount of wildlife in the parks. Also, I live near Pelham Bay Park, which is roughly three times the size of Central Park. Most of the park is untouched and there are many overgrown areas with great food. (Just gotta wear pants so you don’t get a tick)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
We have had a thread here in food section i think that one of the members started a while back. I’ll see if i can find it for you. We were tryjng to post plants/pictures all in one big thread