Food question…

Location (City and/or State)
Belfast
I’m frequently checking the tortoise table for safe foods, one of which is mint, though I don’t use it as don’t want the aroma to over power, but on one occasion I did, and on reading the packing it said suitable for freezing. Which brings me to my question.

The process is basically putting mint in an ice cube tray, filling with water and freezing.

I wondered if I could do this with a balanced diet, frozen in the summer for the availability and used through the winter.

Thoughts…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m frequently checking the tortoise table for safe foods, one of which is mint, though I don’t use it as don’t want the aroma to over power, but on one occasion I did, and on reading the packing it said suitable for freezing. Which brings me to my question.

The process is basically putting mint in an ice cube tray, filling with water and freezing.

I wondered if I could do this with a balanced diet, frozen in the summer for the availability and used through the winter.

Thoughts…
Yes. Sort of... Most items will turn to mush when frozen and then you are left with green slime upon defrosting. Its a good idea, but it doesn't work well in practice in most cases. A better way to go is to dehydrate the food items and then you can sprinkle that all over the grocery store greens throughout your winter. Over here in the states we have @Kapidolo Farms . Will sells al sorts of dehydrated weeds and leaves and it works fantastically. I use his dehydrated food items almost daily now.

There is certainly no harm in experimenting with your local weeds and flora, and seeing if something will work for you.

Belfast
Yes. Sort of... Most items will turn to mush when frozen and then you are left with green slime upon defrosting. Its a good idea, but it doesn't work well in practice in most cases. A better way to go is to dehydrate the food items and then you can sprinkle that all over the grocery store greens throughout your winter. Over here in the states we have @Kapidolo Farms . Will sells al sorts of dehydrated weeds and leaves and it works fantastically. I use his dehydrated food items almost daily now.

There is certainly no harm in experimenting with your local weeds and flora, and seeing if something will work for you.
Thanks Tom, have some dried flowers that are for moderation, I’ll do some tests on the frozen then and research drying flowers/weeds etc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, have some dried flowers that are for moderation, I’ll do some tests on the frozen then and research drying flowers/weeds etc
Let us know if you discover a weed that takes well to freezing. Many people could benefit from whatever useful info you discover.