Foods that make them poop?

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hey all!

Noodles is doing well, but I'm worried that he's not pooping enough. He eats curly endive and sometimes will eat Mazuri tortoise diet. I soak him every other day, and I see him pee when I do, but I don't see him poop. I soak him for 15-20 minutes. I do spot clean and sometimes see a bit, but not as much as when Noodles was a bit younger. Are there good tort foods I could use to make sure he's pooping?

I should add that my mom might've gotten the wrong type of green, because Noodles doesn't want to eat it. I've been giving him 1 or 2 pellets soaked in water instead, but still offering the greens.

Thank you,
Lou and Noodles

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He's a year old Russian. Most of his normal food is out of season, so curly endive is best because that's what most russians should eat for the majority of their diet.
Have you read this. Why won't won't he eat escarole, butter lettuce, dandelions....you need to add variety to his diet...

AgataP

Seattle, WA
If he eats normal and he is active chances are - he eats his own poop.

a bit of cucumber, cactus can help but I would not feed tons just so they poop. Start with a long warm soak.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all!

Noodles is doing well, but I'm worried that he's not pooping enough. He eats curly endive and sometimes will eat Mazuri tortoise diet. I soak him every other day, and I see him pee when I do, but I don't see him poop. I soak him for 15-20 minutes. I do spot clean and sometimes see a bit, but not as much as when Noodles was a bit younger. Are there good tort foods I could use to make sure he's pooping?

I should add that my mom might've gotten the wrong type of green, because Noodles doesn't want to eat it. I've been giving him 1 or 2 pellets soaked in water instead, but still offering the greens.

Thank you,
Lou and Noodles
If noodles is less than 100 grams, you should be soaking every day for 30-40 minutes.

Tortoises eat what they have eaten before. New foods have to be slowly introduced in tiny amounts over a long period of time. This can be frustrating for the tortoise keeper, but it is important that they eat a wide variety of foods. Read the care sheet that Maggie linked for you. Its springtime going into summer soon. Everything seasonal should be growing right now. All the weeds, mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, rose of sharon, etc...

S2G

AL
That care sheet has everything you need in it. When I introduce new items I put dandelion flowers in it. Sounds like it needs some good warm soaks. I also dip my greens in water before serving so I think that helps.

I got an app picture this & I use it with a tortoise app. Anything with bulbs I avoid, but I walk around the yard take a pic which gives me an ID then I look it up. After a few times you'll know what's what.