Foods to plant??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
So I have a great outdoor enclosure but I don't know what to plant other than wheat grass and roses

P.S he's a Russian tortoise if that helps with food items and absolutely LOVES romain lettuce but I don't want to plant it because its a occasional food.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
RE: Foods

Ours loves sedums of all varieties. He also loves mallow (malva sylvestris, you can buy seeds on ebay). I've also purchased a seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply which he grazes. Beyond that, I usually give him some Spring mix and throw in whatever I find elsewhere in the yard, including: several hibiscus varieties, dandelions, rose of sharon leaves and flowers, roses, cranesbill leaves and flowers. He also munched, or should I say, mowed down the Brussels sprout plant I had growing nearby.

WillTort2

5 Year Member

Add grape vine leaves, mulberry tree leaves, radicchio, and endive to your list. The last 2 you might find in the produce section.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

Wheatgrass.

Go the health food store and in some, you can buy the wheat berries by the pound. I soak them overnight, then plant them. Instant grass. Healthy too! If you have juice bar, they get flats of them and sometimes they throw out the roots since they cut the grass for the little elixir they press that is so good for us but the shots are not that cheap. Anyhow, ask them for the roots. Sometimes they regrow nicely.

tortoisesupply.com sells a nice seed mix too! : ) Sprinkle, grow and graze. Fun!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Re: Foods

wheat grass grows around 4 to 5 inches , after four inches cut it off because then you have all the nutrition you need

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Re: Foods

Cut it down, when its 4 to 5 inches if you let it sit its going to turn yellow... it won't stay too many days green otherwise

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

They can still get some nutrition from dried or yellowing safe plants or weeds. They do in the wild.

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Foods

I have many items planted and some the eat and some they don't. But it's all safe.

Thanks for the tip on wheat grass as I was wondering what to do with it.

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.