for calcium, is just a Cuttlebone enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortisimo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
So, I have a russian tortoise, Morpheus. I was wondering- Is just a cuttlebone enough, or should I give him calcium powder with his food as well as a cuttlebone?
Also- I heard that sprinkling crushed eggshell on the ground was a good source of natural calcium, is this true?
And is just a UVB lamp enough vitamin D, or should I give him vitamin D supplements?
Thanks! And sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Does your tort eat the cuttlebone often? If yes no need for calcium supplement. They are just the same.

I also think vitamin D is not needed if they get good source of uvb, even from lamp

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If you can get them into the sun for at least an hour or two...that would be enough to eliminate any D3 supplements. Cactus and mulberry leaves also provide (more than) enough calcium to make you consider supplementation!

Just because it may be only 40 or 50F outside...if it's sunny, there's a good chance that there one spot in the yard that might be in the 80s or 90s (ground temp).

You'd have to change out the bulb every 4 to 6 months if an MVB is your only UV source. Any other light source is not efficient.

tortisimo

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
Sadly, our yard does not get much sun and some of it is still frozen over. However, his tub is right next to a window that faces west, and so gets sun for about half the day, in addition to his UV lamp.
He hasn't eaten much cuttlebone, but I think the pet store gave him (possibly too large) calcium supplements, and his shell isn't soft or anything. Thanks for the advice!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The sun is the best source of UVB out there :)! Cuttlebone is enough calcium unless he doesn't eat it. Tortoises are smart and know what they need and don't need.

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
tortisimo said:
Sadly, our yard does not get much sun and some of it is still frozen over. However, his tub is right next to a window that faces west, and so gets sun for about half the day, in addition to his UV lamp.
He hasn't eaten much cuttlebone, but I think the pet store gave him (possibly too large) calcium supplements, and his shell isn't soft or anything. Thanks for the advice!

I threw a cuttlebone in my Tortilla's cage and only see a few nibbles so I will sprinkle calcium powder over her food once or twice a week, You can also shave the cuttlebone over the food to save $$$ on calcium powder.
Hope this helps!!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My opinion...if your tort doesn't eat the cuttle bone very often, i would still sprinkle calcium on their food...if you are unable to take your tort out at least a few times a week to get natural sunshine.. I would give D3.

arotester

5 Year Member
I sprinkle cal twice every week and I also have cuttle bone placed in the enclosure so that they can choose best for themselves(i still find few nibbles on the cuttlebone)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortisimo said:
Is just a cuttlebone enough, or should I give him calcium powder with his food as well as a cuttlebone?

And is just a UVB lamp enough vitamin D, or should I give him vitamin D supplements?

The answer is maybe. It depends on the diet you feed him. I think the safe bet is to offer cuttle bone, but also put a little pinch of calcium on the food once in a while. If you have an adult male, you won't need to do it very often. Once a week or so. For a growing baby or an egg laying female I'd do it two or three times a week. Don't forget your other minerals too. More and more I'm convinced that at least in some cases (indoors, grocery store foods) calcium alone is not enough. I like MinerAll and Repashy for regular supplements too. You still only need a little once in a while.

The D3 thing is highly debatable, and largely opinion. Again, the safe bet is to give a mostly indoor tortoise a D3 supplement. There is really very little D3 in most commercial reptile sources, so unless you feed a lot of it every day, D3 over dose is very unlikely. I say this with or without artificial UV bulbs.

BTW, glass and window screen filter out most UV. There is not enough to benefit them getting through, but the psychological benefit and warmth is probably good. Just be careful the sun doesn't overheat the enclosure.

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
My Russian used to go crazy over his cuttlebone, now not so much. Every now and then I scrape it with my fingernail over his food, which sprinkles the food nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.