for future knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
I've been reading about a lot of the different tortoises on this forum and when I came across aldabras I just fell in love. I am currently in california going to school but would love to get an aldabra when I move back to hawaii. I guess I have 2 questions
1) are aldabras legal in hawaii (I no sulcatas are)
2) if anyone has one in hawaii how do the do there?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Not sure on number one, but probably if properly vetted. It is not like they could ever escape and proceed to overpopulate. Invasive potential of zero.

Regarding number two, I would imagine the climate would be very hospitable (possibly with a tweak or two).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure if your the one that already posted about this. However, I will say it again. I don't think we have any breeders in Hawaii of Aldabras. If we do, I have never seen them post. Second, unless you have lots of property, most lot sizes I have seen in Hawaii isn't big enough. Maybe a leopard size tort would fit in the lots sizes over there. Now if you get or have one of the farms in Hawaii, then you would have enough room. I think they would do fine there.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
wow, can I help you care for them, provided that I have a little plot there to build a small house? :-]

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Haha that would be nice. It'll be a while before I'm even colse to living there myself most of it is rainforest. It is my favorite place it the world.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
That looks like a nice place to retreat. Can you at least share the pictures for us?

You can keep like more than 10 aldabra there :)

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures on with me right now but I'm planning on going there soon. And I will be posting then too. I will look and if I can find some pictures I will post them asap

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
We go to the Big Island every year sooooo when you move back I may just have to pop in and say hello and check out your torts:) How is your new baby doing?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Ok I just realized I can have my mom get me some pictures so just hold your horses :p ill post them the sec. I get them

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've never gone to the big island. Oahu and Kauai. Now, when you move back. Let me know. I will come help with the torts and I only need a blanket.:D

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Haha it'll be a few years before I can move back. I'm going to college right now and working on my degree in zoology. There is a small zoo on the big island and I am hoping to work there if not run it (my dream). Its so beautiful on the big island my favorite thing to do is taking my sleeping bag and a pillow and sleeping in a hamock under the stars (well untill it starts to rain on you lol)

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
sorry i could only find pictures of the forest we do have a house there thoughforest1.jpgforest3.jpgforest4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
looneybug said:
sorry i could only find pictures of the forest we do have a house there though

An Aldabra would be beyond well kept there. If I had such land, I would get a colony going. :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Baoh said:
An Aldabra would be beyond well kept there. If I had such land, I would get a colony going. :)

I really agree to this... I think the aldabra will be very comfortable to stay there. It's beautiful and you have that nice stream of river there... I can't judge the river size because your picture is very small.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Sorry about the picture size I'm not very good with computers. I'm hoping they will be happy :) and I would love a colony I think I would start with a pair and work from there I love tortoises (even though I just came into the tortoise world)

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
Nice! If you ever need a tropical island ecologist to help you set up that tortoise reserve, just say the word! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.