For the diggers... how are you sinking your fence?

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
hey guys.

Been going over ideas for outside enclosures. I have a sulcata so have to sink the fence some. Wondering how your doing it and how deep?

Thanks
Erik

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
my sulcata has never offered to dig under a fence. as long as the fence goes clear to the ground with no light showing under it, he probably won't dig under it

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Its bulldozing that's the problem - having a fence/wall strong enough to resist 100lb determined to go in a straight line

And deep burrows. It's burrows they dig rather than tunnels

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Erik Elvis ! :D

Apologies, I cannot help here. :( Hope the experts will be able to.:)

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
A fence can be reinforced with cut rebar pounded in the ground. If fence is chain link, rebar can be used like tent stakes. Also I have seen patio stones sunken just under the fence and extending into pen/yard. The torts don’t know to start digging at the stones edge before they get to the fence. A good warm hide house should keep them from digging a burrow.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know what kind of fence you have, but we dug a trench and attached sheets of lath to the wood. It only goes down 12 inches, but it's for a desert tort. You can also attach the mesh, then bend it inward into the enclosure and cover with soil. The tort starts digging at the fence, and soon hits the mesh a few inches underground. Don't know if any of this helps with a sulcata...
20170802_091733.jpg

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Thanks guys. I figure I have till spring to figure it out but I see so many different ways to do it I’m trying to see what works best for people without breaking the bank. I’d feel better sinking the fence at least a foot. Figure I could rent a trencher for a day to do the digging.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Here is mine. a backhoe dug the footer/ trench1-2 feet deep. Then laid railroad ties and corrugated roof tin I had left over and attached it all. He hasn't tried to dig at all. I think mine was overkill. I lost the pic on how I did it but here is the thread I started. pics of the fence are right at the beginning.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/adult-sulcata-enclosure-build-arizona.158623/

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Well I was fortunate to have a concrete block wall around my place but I figure if roots from the neighbors pine tree can come across then my Desert Tortoise could dig out. I had to remove all vegetation within 5 ft from the wall to keep the tree roots from damaging the wall. I used landscaping fabric to keep the weeds out and packed it down with fine crush rock so he doesn’t even try to dig.

My tortoise tries to dig under the gate, but doesn’t do so well because that gravel is packed down so hard from walking on it. I imagine he might be able to get through eventually if left unattended for a few months so I covered the gate with some shade fabric. He can’t see the other side of the gate and he quit digging. He did manage to knock a wooden gate down that went under my Swamp cooler, but it was a dead end and he couldn’t go anywhere.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I’ll likely still put about a foot of chicken wire or some sort of mesh underground. A trencher should do a bulk of the work. The other half for the leopard I won’t do that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chicken wire won't even slow a large sulcata down.

But it will stop and chickens from getting in there unless they dig down more than a foot! :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Don't bother doing all that work trenching to just do chicken wire, might as well be dental floss to a Sulcata. I have 2' deep concrete footings around some horse stalls and it took my Sulcatas all of a week to dig under. They won't dig to escape but they certainly will to nest, burrow, and flat out be a pain in the butt. There's really nothing you can do to prevent it. I just have to stay on top of them and do perimeter checks daily. If you stay on top of problem areas and throw in a few cinder blocks here and there to discourage digging you can manage it quite well.