For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
I’m going to our pet stores here and picket saying they are abusing tortoises!

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
My little Daisy is like a goat and bulldozer... she goes OVER everything.. no such thing as going AROUND...

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Where can i get weeds, can i bye them???

My Sulcata Michelangelo[TURTLE]
and my RedFoot Raphael [TURTLE]

Half of My back yard is full lol the other half by the pool is manicured and so is the front and sides LOL

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Half of My back yard is full lol the other half by the pool is manicured and so is the front and sides LOL

IMG_1987.jpg
Off to tractor supply around 1 and then Daisy proofing yard, she went sideways through that useless fence and then climbed over the rocks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises need a visual barrier all the way around. Here is an easy one I just threw together a couple of days ago for my young stars:
IMG_5073.JPG

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
What am I doing wrong for this to happen I have 90% humidity 84 degrees water always provided plus I soak food in water before given20180415_141105.jpg

Jenni88

Arizona (Low Desert)
Tom how can I get my baby leopard to want to eat grass? I see an occasional nibble but there really is not much interest. He seems more interested in the hibiscus leaves and goes crazy for romaine but I would rather not give him any lettuce unless its a treat now and then.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Had him over a year he is about 3lbs and no I dont soak daily
Tom how can I get my baby leopard to want to eat grass? I see an occasional nibble but there really is not much interest. He seems more interested in the hibiscus leaves and goes crazy for romaine but I would rather not give him any lettuce unless its a treat now and then.
If this is properly introduced by the breeder, they just eat it. If not, you have to spend weeks or months introducing it slowly. Cut up a very small amount of fresh young grass super fine. Then cut up the days favorite greens super fine and spray some water all over the pile. Sprinkle your cut up grass onto the pile of cut up greens and mix it all up throughly. Over time, up the ratio of grass to greens. It can be a slow process, but its worth it.

When your tortoise gets bigger, you can introduce grass hay in a similar manner. I usually start feeding them hay when they reach about 12 inches.

taabjs

Mesa Arizona
I got a question. I am new at this. My Sulcata I got on Feb 14th Tidus is now 2 1/2 inches from head to shell. Is that the right way to measure Tidus. Tidus loves dandelion, mustard greens so far but hates other stuff we tried on the list. We have timothy hay there for him. We live in AZ where it is hot, dry. What should the enclosure have? Yes we have heat lamp, also a UV lamp. I did not know you had to put the food in a food dish my fault on my end. Also put the food in little pieces is that true? Tidus is tiny yet so what size of bowl? I have had mixed advice here on watering Tidus. Some says they take there tortoise out to water when they are that tiny, some say put a water dishes in there. So what do you guys recommend? Some say no humid hide some say yes. If this does not make any sense sorry have bronchitis right now. Any advice will be helpful.Tidus 11111111.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I got a question. I am new at this. My Sulcata I got on Feb 14th Tidus is now 2 1/2 inches from head to shell. Is that the right way to measure Tidus. Tidus loves dandelion, mustard greens so far but hates other stuff we tried on the list. We have timothy hay there for him. We live in AZ where it is hot, dry. What should the enclosure have? Yes we have heat lamp, also a UV lamp. I did not know you had to put the food in a food dish my fault on my end. Also put the food in little pieces is that true? Tidus is tiny yet so what size of bowl? I have had mixed advice here on watering Tidus. Some says they take there tortoise out to water when they are that tiny, some say put a water dishes in there. So what do you guys recommend? Some say no humid hide some say yes. If this does not make any sense sorry have bronchitis right now. Any advice will be helpful.View attachment 236254

These should answer most of your questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
You absolutely do need a water bowl, a humid hide, and 80% humidity in a closed chamber.

taabjs

Mesa Arizona
These should answer most of your questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
You absolutely do need a water bowl, a humid hide, and 80% humidity in a closed chamber.

Thanks!!!

taabjs

Mesa Arizona
Thanks!!!

I was worried about Tidus not eating, maybe be dehydrated. I put a water dish in there not to deep. Then since Tidus is always lifeless the last couple days. I put Tidus in the warm water dish he sat there for a while then started moving, walking around the dish. Look like Tidus was just walking in the water. Should I just leave Tidus there or what if Tidus does not move should I move Tidus out of the water. Tidus still has not eating. If he does not do better I will be taking Tidus to vet.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was worried about Tidus not eating, maybe be dehydrated. I put a water dish in there not to deep. Then since Tidus is always lifeless the last couple days. I put Tidus in the warm water dish he sat there for a while then started moving, walking around the dish. Look like Tidus was just walking in the water. Should I just leave Tidus there or what if Tidus does not move should I move Tidus out of the water. Tidus still has not eating. If he does not do better I will be taking Tidus to vet.
He's probably not warm enough. That's the number one cause of a baby tortoise not eating.

taabjs

Mesa Arizona
He's probably not warm enough. That's the number one cause of a baby tortoise not eating.

Thanks, new at this.
The reptile store did not tell me everything of what to do but he has been moving around, running from Feb 14th or around that time to a couple days ago. Tidus does have water in there now I was told not to but to take him out to water but i think the stress of handling him did it's due. I have the food on a food dish. He has a hide Try to mist the hide as much as I can. I think my big mistake was since we live in Arizona reptile store did not tell also had handful of people say to not moisten the substrate so yes I failed that, it has been to dry I think.
Tidus has a heat lamp also a UV lamp.