For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Over and over I type up and answer diet questions and try to get people feeding the right stuff, but I find that the "norm" is grocery store food. Grocery store food is expensive, a hassle to obtain, and very low on the list of what is best for sulcatas.

These tortoises are GRASS eaters. From the moment they hatch, until the day they die, grass should be a large part of their diet. Spring mix, romaine, kale and other greens are okay as a small part of a varied diet, but should not be the bulk of the diet. If someone must feed grocery store foods, the pile should be sprinkled with grass clippings or "Salad Style". For those who like the convenience of pre-packaged, easy to handle stuff, "Salad Style" is basically finely blended up grass hay that can be sprinkled over any other food to add bulk and fiber. I got my "Salad Style" from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com.

For those that have a lawn, or access to one: Get a tub, get some scissors, get down on your knees, and go to work! It is so EASY to cut a few handfuls of fresh, green, tender, young grass, and dramatically improve your baby sulcatas diet. Any kind of grass will work. Finely chop it for little tortoises and sprinkle it all over the other food, or feed it by itself in a pile. Do be careful about lawn chemicals and pesticides. If you have a gardener, or its not your lawn, use extreme caution. Live in a condo or apartment complex? Don't do it. Not worth the risk, no matter what they tell you. Just grow your own grass in pots on your patio or window sills. Friends, family and neighbors might be able to help you out here.

For those who still just love the grocery store: Most stores are now selling little plastic pots of live, freshly sprouted, organic wheat grass. You can find it at many pet stores too. This is a great way to add grass to the diet of a young sulcata. Get your scissors, hold the pot over the food pile and chop away. Water it and keep the pot in a window sill, and in a few days, you'll have more. You might need several pots as your baby grows, or you can buy seed from one of our site sponsors (Thank you Carolina Pet Supply) and sprout even bigger trays of it yourself.

Some of you may find that your "grass eating" tortoise wants nothing to do with eating grass. This should surprise no one, since most breeders and most keepers never even attempt to feed actual grass to their grass eating tortoise babies. So sad! I can tell you from first hand experience with literally HUNDREDS of babies, they WILL eat it. It may take a month or more to slowly introduce it, but PLEASE, slowly introduce it.

Other items that are good for babies and young sulcatas:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

When sulcatas get a little older and bigger, usually around 10-12" for me, they will start munching on plain, dry grass hay, all on their own. I like orchard grass hay the best for this, but I also used bermuda grass hay for years too. When they hit this stage, life gets MUCH easier. Just make sure you have drinking water readily available when they start eating hay, and consider soaking regularly if you are not 100% sure your tortoise is drinking enough, or if you live in a really dry area, like me.

I live in a desert and yet there is still green stuff all around me. I beg you to take a walk and learn about all the green stuff around you, INSTEAD of driving to the store again. Instead of a trip to the grocery store, take a trip to a local nursery for some weed IDs, and tips on growing your own stuff. What could be better than stepping out into your backyard and collecting all the free, healthy tortoise food you can carry? Think of the gas savings! Anyone who is a tortoise keeper, ought to be somewhat of a gardener too.

I beg of you... PLEASE stop the grocery store MADNESS!!! :D

My tort was very against hay. He eats it really well now. To get him to eat it better, I used scissors to cut it up into smaller pieces, I soaked it in warm water for five minutes, and to entice him more, I would make a smoothie made up of water, carrot tops, and strawberry tops. I poured it all over the hay. Now he eats it really well. He has gotten to be a little hay pig now. I don’t have to put the smoothie. Soon I’ll start mixing dry and wet to slowly transition to all dry. I’m in Louisiana, so he does get to graze a lot of the year.

Twice a week, Monday and Thursday, I do give him treats, lettuce, melon rinds, cucumber skins, carrot peelings, mustard greens, etc. I usually just pick one of those to give him. I give his vitamin (monthly) and calcium (twice a week) on those days. The majority of his treats are scraps from our own food.

I just started getting the throw aways from the grocery store. The first day was a massive box that I know I can’t give to one tort. Some stuff we could eat. I shared with a friend and also saved some for our bearded dragon. I could not have even fathomed the amount of stuff the store was tossing just this one day. Human safe food too. Insane. Too much waste. We ate the asparagus from the box tonight.
I’m working on a connection to wholesale hay. Hope I’m doing a decent job.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tort was very against hay. He eats it really well now. To get him to eat it better, I used scissors to cut it up into smaller pieces, I soaked it in warm water for five minutes, and to entice him more, I would make a smoothie made up of water, carrot tops, and strawberry tops. I poured it all over the hay. Now he eats it really well. He has gotten to be a little hay pig now. I don’t have to put the smoothie. Soon I’ll start mixing dry and wet to slowly transition to all dry. I’m in Louisiana, so he does get to graze a lot of the year.

Twice a week, Monday and Thursday, I do give him treats, lettuce, melon rinds, cucumber skins, carrot peelings, mustard greens, etc. I usually just pick one of those to give him. I give his vitamin (monthly) and calcium (twice a week) on those days. The majority of his treats are scraps from our own food.

I just started getting the throw aways from the grocery store. The first day was a massive box that I know I can’t give to one tort. Some stuff we could eat. I shared with a friend and also saved some for our bearded dragon. I could not have even fathomed the amount of stuff the store was tossing just this one day. Human safe food too. Insane. Too much waste. We ate the asparagus from the box tonight.
I’m working on a connection to wholesale hay. Hope I’m doing a decent job.
All sounds good to me. Another way to do it is to cut the hay up, rehydrate it and just mix a small amount in with chopped up greens. Yet another way to do it is to simply feed them their preferred regular foods on a bed of grass hay for a couple of weeks. That alone gets it done for most people.

Jenni88

Arizona (Low Desert)
Figured out why he won't eat the grass I give him, apparently the grass I'm growing doesn't really appeal to him. Gave him some wheat grass from Sprouts and he had no problem with eating those trimmings, even came running for it.

nalafionasoleil

Escondido, California
I’m having trouble getting my 6 month old sulcata to eat. I feed him a mixture of Spring Mix and little tortoise bites and he’ll eat the tortoise bites but refuses to eat any of the greens. He LOVES romaine lettuce and will gladly eat that but that’s currently being recalled at the store. He just seems like a picky eater. He took a bite of kale and spit it out and walked away so we stayed with romaine lettuce. We added Butternut Squash and he’ll eat it up real fast. I’m just stuck on as to why he won’t eat the spring mix. Should I just wait it out and if he gets hungry, he’ll eat it? I’m concerned he’ll get sick or get little of the nutrition he needs. I add calcium to his food twice a week. He has a UVB light. We learned he HATES heating lamps so he won’t come out of his little burrow so we switched to a heating pad on one half of his pen which he absolutely loves. I soak him every night in warm water for as long as he’ll lay there which is about 10 minutes then he’ll try to get out. Am I doing anything wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m having trouble getting my 6 month old sulcata to eat. I feed him a mixture of Spring Mix and little tortoise bites and he’ll eat the tortoise bites but refuses to eat any of the greens. He LOVES romaine lettuce and will gladly eat that but that’s currently being recalled at the store. He just seems like a picky eater. He took a bite of kale and spit it out and walked away so we stayed with romaine lettuce. We added Butternut Squash and he’ll eat it up real fast. I’m just stuck on as to why he won’t eat the spring mix. Should I just wait it out and if he gets hungry, he’ll eat it? I’m concerned he’ll get sick or get little of the nutrition he needs. I add calcium to his food twice a week. He has a UVB light. We learned he HATES heating lamps so he won’t come out of his little burrow so we switched to a heating pad on one half of his pen which he absolutely loves. I soak him every night in warm water for as long as he’ll lay there which is about 10 minutes then he’ll try to get out. Am I doing anything wrong?
Please read all of these. Your questions are answered in them, and you can see what needs to be done differently. After reading these, then come on back and ask all your questions.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jaid10

USA
Over and over I type up and answer diet questions and try to get people feeding the right stuff, but I find that the "norm" is grocery store food. Grocery store food is expensive, a hassle to obtain, and very low on the list of what is best for sulcatas.

These tortoises are GRASS eaters. From the moment they hatch, until the day they die, grass should be a large part of their diet. Spring mix, romaine, kale and other greens are okay as a small part of a varied diet, but should not be the bulk of the diet. If someone must feed grocery store foods, the pile should be sprinkled with grass clippings or "Salad Style". For those who like the convenience of pre-packaged, easy to handle stuff, "Salad Style" is basically finely blended up grass hay that can be sprinkled over any other food to add bulk and fiber. I got my "Salad Style" from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com.

For those that have a lawn, or access to one: Get a tub, get some scissors, get down on your knees, and go to work! It is so EASY to cut a few handfuls of fresh, green, tender, young grass, and dramatically improve your baby sulcatas diet. Any kind of grass will work. Finely chop it for little tortoises and sprinkle it all over the other food, or feed it by itself in a pile. Do be careful about lawn chemicals and pesticides. If you have a gardener, or its not your lawn, use extreme caution. Live in a condo or apartment complex? Don't do it. Not worth the risk, no matter what they tell you. Just grow your own grass in pots on your patio or window sills. Friends, family and neighbors might be able to help you out here.

For those who still just love the grocery store: Most stores are now selling little plastic pots of live, freshly sprouted, organic wheat grass. You can find it at many pet stores too. This is a great way to add grass to the diet of a young sulcata. Get your scissors, hold the pot over the food pile and chop away. Water it and keep the pot in a window sill, and in a few days, you'll have more. You might need several pots as your baby grows, or you can buy seed from one of our site sponsors (Thank you Carolina Pet Supply) and sprout even bigger trays of it yourself.

Some of you may find that your "grass eating" tortoise wants nothing to do with eating grass. This should surprise no one, since most breeders and most keepers never even attempt to feed actual grass to their grass eating tortoise babies. So sad! I can tell you from first hand experience with literally HUNDREDS of babies, they WILL eat it. It may take a month or more to slowly introduce it, but PLEASE, slowly introduce it.

Other items that are good for babies and young sulcatas:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

When sulcatas get a little older and bigger, usually around 10-12" for me, they will start munching on plain, dry grass hay, all on their own. I like orchard grass hay the best for this, but I also used bermuda grass hay for years too. When they hit this stage, life gets MUCH easier. Just make sure you have drinking water readily available when they start eating hay, and consider soaking regularly if you are not 100% sure your tortoise is drinking enough, or if you live in a really dry area, like me.

I live in a desert and yet there is still green stuff all around me. I beg you to take a walk and learn about all the green stuff around you, INSTEAD of driving to the store again. Instead of a trip to the grocery store, take a trip to a local nursery for some weed IDs, and tips on growing your own stuff. What could be better than stepping out into your backyard and collecting all the free, healthy tortoise food you can carry? Think of the gas savings! Anyone who is a tortoise keeper, ought to be somewhat of a gardener too.

I beg of you... PLEASE stop the grocery store MADNESS!!! :D
I have a 4 week old and a 6 year old sulcatas. I usually feed them lettuce with calcium on top. Can I add grass from my yard to that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4 week old and a 6 year old sulcatas. I usually feed them lettuce with calcium on top. Can I add grass from my yard to that?
If the grass is untreated with chemicals, then it would be great to add to the diet of the 6 year old. For the baby, you will need freshly sprouted, soft, young grass and you'll need to chop it up finely and mix it all up with the other food. Only use a small amount of grass at first while they get used to it.

Jaid10

USA
If the grass is untreated with chemicals, then it would be great to add to the diet of the 6 year old. For the baby, you will need freshly sprouted, soft, young grass and you'll need to chop it up finely and mix it all up with the other food. Only use a small amount of grass at first while they get used to it.
Thank you. So I should grow some for the baby? Also is this an ok diet for them? Lettuce and grass with calcium?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Jaid10

USA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. So I should grow some for the baby? Also is this an ok diet for them? Lettuce and grass with calcium?
Lettuce is not a good food. Grass is a good thing to feed them.

Your tortoise needs you to find the time to read those threads so that you understand what needs to be done to take proper care of him.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA

Amen,Daisy eats all of that, never had store bought food or tortoise food, she poos and drinks crazy! woman[emoji23]

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question by I have a 1.24 year old sulcata where I built an outside area for him. I have a half log that he goes into. Temps are upper 90s during day and upper 50s at night. My question is do I need to provide a heated box for the tortoise at night or is this sufficient until winter approaches

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question by I have a 1.24 year old sulcata where I built an outside area for him. I have a half log that he goes into. Temps are upper 90s during day and upper 50s at night. My question is do I need to provide a heated box for the tortoise at night or is this sufficient until winter approaches

I’m no expert but from what I have learned/heard that temperature is definitely too low for a Sulcata. If you need another heat source for night I would go with a CHE, because it gives off no light and your tort can sleep in warmth!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
There's no such thing as a stupid question, it's always better that you ask. Makes for a happy tortoise.[emoji4]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every tropical species of tortoise needs a temperature controlled box of some sort or other. For shelter if nothing else.

50 is way too cold for a young sulcata. Some older ones might survive temps that cold, but it isn't good for them.

What size tortoise are we talking about? They should live outside full time until they reach about 8-10 inches. Most of them aren't that big at 15 months.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Every tropical species of tortoise needs a temperature controlled box of some sort or other. For shelter if nothing else.

50 is way too cold for a young sulcata. Some older ones might survive temps that cold, but it isn't good for them.

What size tortoise are we talking about? They should live outside full time until they reach about 8-10 inches. Most of them aren't that big at 15 months.
Is lows in upper 60s too cold too