Camryn

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
I try a lot of different things but all my tortoise will eat is:
All types of lettuce and leafy spinach
strawberries
carrots
And sweet potatoes.
I want him to have a healthy diet, any tips on getting him to eat something else?

Camryn

Tampa, FL
My tortoise wont eat ANYTHING but Romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes, carrots and strawberries :(

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
@Tom
It has been a long time since we have last spoke and you helped me so much. I was wondering if the picture below of see is okay for my 15 month old tort? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us all.
Liz

Attachments

• 1407537456631.jpg
    1407537456631.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 130

aztortoisegal

I inherited a tortoise recently from someone who didn't want "the hassle" :( anymore. And they fed them nothing but grocery store food, and a friend who has two LARGE tortoises, feeds them grocery store food pretty exclusively. So once they advised me on all the dos and dont's for tortoise keeping, I did my OWN research and discovered that I should not follow their advice. A little treat here and there of a grocery store veggie is ok, but my guy is getting weeds, grass, alfalfa, and water. :)

Lisa1978

London, UK
Just to introduce them.... Turbo... Tank.... & Tiny.... :)

Attachments

• 1410032323020.jpg
    1410032323020.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 1410032368787.jpg
    1410032368787.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 65

SulcataNewbie2014

Makati
My son named our sulcatas Raphael and Donatello

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

Lisa1978

London, UK
Aww gorgeous... i love sulcatas to bits. Always wanted one. The only reason why i got two was because i thought it would be best to get two now as they had been together already... rather than buy one later on and worry about them fighting. Well.... thats my excuse.. i mean reason! :)

SulcataNewbie2014

Makati
Can Sulcatas get back up in case they manage get themselves upside down? Is this harmful? Should I help them back up immediately or let them figure it out?

Lisa1978

London, UK
Mmmmm good question.... my sulcata that died was forever going on his back.. and i just kept turning him back over.. and he would plod on. When i last found him on his back i did as i normally would.. turn him back over... but didnt realise he wasnt moving.. as i was quickly passing through the room. It was a couple of hours later.. my son said to me that slowcoach hadnt moved since... i was gutted.. as that was the only time i hadnt made sure. Ive seen on you tube that tortoises can get themselves back over... but it wasnt a sulcata. So im not sure to be honest

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Aww gorgeous... i love sulcatas to bits. Always wanted one. The only reason why i got two was because i thought it would be best to get two now as they had been together already... rather than buy one later on and worry about them fighting. Well.... thats my excuse.. i mean reason! :)

They don't do well in pairs. Even as babies. One always suffers. Groups usually work, but pairs usually don't.

Lisa1978

London, UK
Ohhhh.... well its done now.. i cant go and buy anymore of them... over in the UK they are alot more expensive than over there. Although my two are seeming good together. Im hoping it will be different depending on the individual tortoises. I was concerned at first about my smallest one... but i can see even within a couple of weeks that its starting to match up to the size of the other... so... so far so good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ohhhh.... well its done now.. i cant go and buy anymore of them... over in the UK they are alot more expensive than over there. Although my two are seeming good together. Im hoping it will be different depending on the individual tortoises. I was concerned at first about my smallest one... but i can see even within a couple of weeks that its starting to match up to the size of the other... so... so far so good

Just make an enclosure for each of them. Very simple. Here is a thread with more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Smazril

5 Year Member
Central Oregon
I have just had my girl a week now. She has some issues that we are working on (pyramids and mbd). She is eating grass well all day. It is still warm enough for her to be out about 6-8 hours here in Central Oregon. In the morning I've been putting dandelion greens in with her before it's time to go outside. She is about 2.5kg and 10 inches long. My biggest question that I haven't found an answer to is how much she can eat? How much grass hay and dandelion greens can I give knowing she's munching all day on grass. She LOVES her dandelion greens, it is how I convinced her eating is a good thing. (for at least a year she lived on strawberries and kale). Thanks for input!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can graze on grass and weeds all day long. No need to restrict them.