Foreign Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey Everyone,

Since there are people from all around the world on this forum, I thought a lot of you would be able to give some good input on how you learned a foreign language.

Last summer I went to Tijuana to help out my cousin at his orphanage, and found that my three years of high school Spanish hardly/didn't help me at all (which I expected). I would like to go back every summer and was hoping to learn a little more Spanish, eventually be able to speak, next time.

How did you learn a foreign language and does anyone have any experiences with the various programs such as Rosetta Stone or Pimsluer?

Thanks,

Jake

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I've heard that Rosetta Stone is very good.

And the best way to learn how to communicate in Tiajuana is practice w/ Mexicans or bilingual Mexican-Americans...the "Spanish" taught in High School is handy if you're in Spain, not so much in Mexico, as they speak a very different language, with different words and phrases, much like someone from London speaking to someone from the Bronx...in both cases, the languages are sorta the same, but not really.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I took lots of language classes in high school and college because I enjoyed them. I found out after having a job that made me travel a lot that my classes really helped me with the basics, but other than being able to find the bathroom and order some dinner I wasn't anywhere near fluent. I found that I learned more than I did in class while I was interacting with people who natively spoke the languages and didn't speak english. :D Now, I am pretty sure I have forgotten it all.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
I completely agree with both of you; immersion is definitely the best way to learn. Just in the week I was there, I started to feel a little more confident in what I said (thank goodness a lot of the kids knew some English though :) ). Both of my cousins actually learned from just being around people. Unfortunately, that is only really effective when you are constantly immersed like they are or like you said Kerryann.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jake ... TJ was my backyard for 35 years (native San Diegan) also being in the trades you learned Spanish pretty darn quick , and your right ....it's much different than the "text book" stuff taught in school. Although with the early schooling and intro you learn the basics as well as the "proper" form of the language....
For myself .....while earning my Masters in Science and Education
(going back to college in my Mid 30's) I needed a foreign language at the college level to fulfill my requirements.....then, like a ton of rocks it hit me ....I got turned on to ASL (American Sign Language). What a bitchen' experience it was , has and still more to come in life. I’ve met so many neat people who were in my "hood" yet I never knew they even existed. I ended up not only taking the basics but another 2 years worth of classes and almost completing the interpreting program..of course this was 15 years ago! The neat part is not only do you learn another language , but a whole different perspective of Life and what many of us (myself included) take for granted because we don’t know any different. The language/communication itself is so much more dynamic and personable than auditable languages and you really "pay attention to facial expressions and body language"
Ironic thing in the "hearing world" this is one of the #1 Concept taught to Sales People ....
None the less I wish you well on your journey and learning a new language and culture. "ENJOY"

JD~:)

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
N2TORTS said:
Jake ... TJ was my backyard for 35 years (native San Diegan) also being in the trades you learned Spanish pretty darn quick , and your right ....it's much different than the "text book" stuff taught in school. Although with the early schooling and intro you learn the basics as well as the "proper" form of the language....
For myself .....while earning my Masters in Science and Education
(going back to college in my Mid 30's) I needed a foreign language at the college level to fulfill my requirements.....then, like a ton of rocks it hit me ....I got turned on to ASL (American Sign Language). What a bitchen' experience it was , has and still more to come in life. I’ve met so many neat people who were in my "hood" yet I never knew they even existed. I ended up not only taking the basics but another 2 years worth of classes and almost completing the interpreting program..of course this was 15 years ago! The neat part is not only do you learn another language , but a whole different perspective of Life and what many of us (myself included) take for granted because we don’t know any different. The language/communication itself is so much more dynamic and personable than auditable languages and you really "pay attention to facial expressions and body language"
Ironic thing in the "hearing world" this is one of the #1 Concept taught to Sales People ....
None the less I wish you well on your journey and learning a new language and culture. "ENJOY"

JD~:)

Thanks JD, that is a great story. I see what you mean, whenever I have seen someone communicate with sign language, their body language is always so much more enthusiastic and like you said, a very important thing to know.

Even though I'd only being going once or twice a year to Mexico, I just think it is pretty cool to know another way of communication/language like you said; it makes a person that much more dynamic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had two years of high school Spanish, but where I really learned the little bit that I know was working with a dozen Mexicans in a warehouse for a year. Those guys were my friends. They helped me get my Spanish right and I helped them with their English. It was pretty funny to onlookers. A bunch of Mexicans speaking broken English to a gringo, and a gringo speaking broken Spanish to a bunch of Mexicans. We all enjoyed it though and had some good laughs. Every once in a while I travel to Mexico on jobs and the longer I'm there, the more I speak it. My high school Spanish teacher told me that you know you are really getting it when you start to dream in Spanish. My last few trips to Mexico, I did dream I Spanish. I found it pretty neat. I tried Rosetta Stone and liked it, but I didn't follow through enough. It's on my list of things to do.

To summarize, you learn by being immersed in it and using it.

Herman

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Hi...
Im participating in this forum to practice english and, of course, my passion for tortoises...specialy red foots. I have noticed that we, people who keep tortoises or turtles share the same passion for them... Well...you know, how crazy we get for them.
(tortoises)

P.S. There are many other tortoise forums in spanish too.!!!

PS...Im practicing my english...!!!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I speak Mandarin...but that's what I studied in college. I can't say how good Rosetta Stone is!

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Thanks for the input everyone!

Tom, just in the week I was there, the kids had me working on their Spanish, while I helped them with their English. Some were better than others, but at some points they would say something really funny on accident, and I would just imagine what in the world I sounded to them. All in all though, it was a great experience and the main reason I want to learn to be just a little more conversational.

Herman your English is great:). That is a great idea to join forums and such in English to work on your skills and something I will look into once I become a little better at comprehension.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Herman said:
Hi...
Im participating in this forum to practice english and, of course, my passion for tortoises...specialy red foots. I have noticed that we, people who keep tortoises or turtles share the same passion for them... Well...you know, how crazy we get for them.
(tortoises)

If you hadn't said anything, I would never have known. Muy bien, amigo. Muy bien.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Herman said:
Hi...
(tortoises)

Hi Herman, but if you want to practice you're supposed to reply more and I saw you have only 10 posts :D

Just like you, I also come from non speaking english country. I'm glad I took some english course before. At least it's usable here :p

Herman

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thanks.... Falcon, Tom, Yellow Turtle...And of course, the forum!!!

I dont write much, even in the spanish forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.