Forsten tortoise

Soco71

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County NY
Hello everyone I'm new here, I own a Russian Tortoise right now. I have now bought a second enclosure and was thinking about purchasing a forsten tortoise, just wanted some feedback if anyone owns one. Was also thinking about a Greek or hermman.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I apologize for not owning Forsten's and still replying (they're very hard to find in my country), but I am an elongated keeper, and they are quite similar tortoises. Indotestudo have very different requirements from the other two you mentioned. Elongata are lovely tortoises - my male is very aggressive (it's downright comical his willingness to charge, mouth open, anyone in his territory). It's a tortoise you really only see at dawn and dusk (which is fine, because I work during the day). It's also stressed by changes, but not its regular keepers. Reasonably cold hardy. Loves fresh water, mushrooms, and gnawing on bones. I like omnivorous forest tortoises. I think of elongata as more cold hardy, smaller, really angry yellowfoots. I've heard Forsten's to be generally similar.

You'll get better advice if you share a bit about yourself - what is it about the species you listed that interests you? What climate do you live in? Temperate habitats are easier to set up some places, tropical rain forest floors are easier in others. Choosing between rather common species and a rare species (although this really depends where you live) is sort of an interesting choice.

Soco71

Orange County NY
I live in south eastern NY so the climate varies, I was interested because it seems more exotic than the others. I've had my russian for about 6 years now but haven't had the room for a second enclosure but have recently purchased a home with plenty of room for a second. I also have a 6 by 6 outdoor enclosure.

Soco71

Orange County NY
I live in south eastern NY so the climate varies , I have had a Russian Tortoise for the last six years and he is thriving! I was interested in the forsten tortoise because it seemed more exotic than the others, I haven't had the room for a second enclosure but have just purchased a house and have plenty of room for a second. I also have a 6 by 6 foot outdoor enclosure for my russian and plan on making a second for my new addition.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I think the Indotestudo tortoises are pretty great. If you can make and maintain the appropriate habitats and find a captive breed tortoise, why not? A Forsten's will be more expensive to purchase and maintain than your other choices, but if it's the species you're interested in and you're able to provide the care, you're all set. It goes without saying, but I will anyway - never allow any contact between your Russian and new addition (not just tortoise to tortoise contact, but no soiled bedding or food or shared soaks either).

And welcome to the forum!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi,

@SarahChelonoidis points out the most critical difference. Indotestudo are very different than the Testudo. Temp, humidity, and diet are all different. There are populations of elongata that are somewhat cold tolerant. But forsteni live in one of the warmest places on the planet.

Eyes open - go for it. There are several sources for captive bred animals in at least as they offered for sale, I don't know the actual inventory.

There is an active studbook for them for North America and a few folks here on TFO participate in it.

I have several adults, had some eggs but failed to incubate them properly or they were not fertile. Based on some keepers, with an almost paranoid level of concern, suggest keeping adults separate. Other people I have spoken with, also who breed them, offer a very different POV, that like many tortoises they can be aggressive with each other in groups of 2.2 or more, but it plays out and stops. 1.1 or 1.2, 2.1 are not recommended with most species. I guess each set up and group of animals will have it's own dynamic, but should not be let to play out until death. Larger aggressive tortoises can kill each other readily. These guys as a species seem to be at the low end of size capable of killing each other.

SLO geckos is a good source, I have seen the offspring they sell. Really good care and follow-up on what they sell. Their web presence is not well developed, but they are at many shows in So Cal.

PM me and I'll send contact info.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Forstenii are awesome. Very difficult to keep in pairs though, so plan on having only one per enclosure. As mentioned above, they are very different in husbandry from Russians. Think very tropical….high humidity, very warm. Mine do not like bright sun and prefer to be mostly in the shade. They are incredibly active in the rain or when you shower the cage with a hose. They do not like the cold at all, under 70 degrees and mine never move, but you can keep them inside easily for the winter, an adult could be kept in a 4x8 or similarly sized setup with ease.