Fort Ticonderoga..., humming bird, Lab, dragonfly and a turtle!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Fantastic trip up to the Adirondacks for a few days. Went up to stay with friends in Indian Lake on Lake Abenakee and it was like Golden Pond kind of stuff but without R.W. coming out of the water, sucking her tummy in like a 13 year old girl trying to make her boobies look bigger...lol.

The woman had been Kerry's 9th grade teacher and Kerry babysat for her family, then taught her kids when she became a teacher herself! They had bought 20 some acres up there 35-40 years ago with 2 houses on it for $40K. They sold off the unbuildable land using the funds to enhance their own property. We got to stay in the new house and wow!
a1.JPGa2.JPG

The dog was a beast...but still showing scars from a Pit Bull attack from one of their kids rescue dogs. Phoebe is gorgeous!

p1.JPGp2.JPG

Great time, lots of canoeing.....our benefactors were both much older than me yet they were in remarkable shape which showed itself on the lake. We found a secluded section and I managed to find this one lone turtle in the entire lake. There are multiple reasons why they can't get a good foothold but I suspect that the resident Otters play a large part. The other odd thing is that they fill and drain the lake to provide a plume of water to the Hudson for the Outfitters on the river. The lake they fill it with is 90' deep and very cold where this lake is 10' deep and quite a bit warmer. The effect of raising and draining a lake this size by 5"-6" and then dropping it over 12 hours....and doing that 3 times a week HAS to be devastating.

c1.JPGtu1.JPGtu2.JPG

Fort Ticonderoga has always drawn me.....no idea why but was super pumped to go! I'm sure I had read it but I didn't realize that there had been so many cannons there! No wonder it was on the list for "places to see" for Ethan Allen and the Green Mtn boys when they joined the others and took the fort for the cannons!

Guess which building is New? LOL

t2.JPGt3.JPGP1020977.JPGP1020983.JPGP1020988.JPG

Please, don't pay attention to that last sentence........LOL
ta.JPG

I've always been compelled to touch special things.....of course I did since we all know, we never get another chance to! This is 1 of 10 left on the planet.....darn right I touched it!
u3.JPGu2.JPGu1.JPG

Whos got balls?
The ones on the right side with the holes are Howitzer shells, the 2 smaller ones are the American Grenade and the British grenade at the end.
The cannon balls are in pounds....14, 11, 12, 8 and down
alls.JPG

Roll your own?
b1.JPG

I was surprised to learn that many American soldiers used these molds and they needed the other sizes in case they were issued a different caliber weapon. Apparently, the British being much more standardized, did not need so many options.

The Hudson river gets small up here~it's about 10-12 feet wide.

Hud.JPG

This pretty guy landed on...well, we couldn't photograph it THERE so I gently swooshed him and he landed on one of the chairs.

d1.JPG

and Ed & Chris had multiple Humming bird feeders throughout their property but the one that was busiest, was in the shade of the trees....making it difficult for my camera to capture......but I couldn't let Ms Cathie down.....so here we are!

h1.JPGh2.JPG

I took 280 pics.....be happy that you only had to wade through a dozen or two.

So in the past year or so, we've explored Fort Sumter while we were in SC last summer, Fort McHenry a couple weeks ago and now Fort Ticonderoga.................kinda cool....maybe Kerry will assemble another book for us, with just the Forts! She makes vacation books online after we come back. Sometimes it take a few months for her to do it because she waits till it's "unlimited pics"!! LOL THAT's my girl~!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fantastic trip up to the Adirondacks for a few days. Went up to stay with friends in Indian Lake on Lake Abenakee and it was like Golden Pond kind of stuff but without R.W. coming out of the water, sucking her tummy in like a 13 year old girl trying to make her boobies look bigger...lol.

The woman had been Kerry's 9th grade teacher and Kerry babysat for her family, then taught her kids when she became a teacher herself! They had bought 20 some acres up there 35-40 years ago with 2 houses on it for $40K. They sold off the unbuildable land using the funds to enhance their own property. We got to stay in the new house and wow!
View attachment 348544View attachment 348545

The dog was a beast...but still showing scars from a Pit Bull attack from one of their kids rescue dogs. Phoebe is gorgeous!

View attachment 348546View attachment 348547

Great time, lots of canoeing.....our benefactors were both much older than me yet they were in remarkable shape which showed itself on the lake. We found a secluded section and I managed to find this one lone turtle in the entire lake. There are multiple reasons why they can't get a good foothold but I suspect that the resident Otters play a large part. The other odd thing is that they fill and drain the lake to provide a plume of water to the Hudson for the Outfitters on the river. The lake they fill it with is 90' deep and very cold where this lake is 10' deep and quite a bit warmer. The effect of raising and draining a lake this size by 5"-6" and then dropping it over 12 hours....and doing that 3 times a week HAS to be devastating.

View attachment 348548View attachment 348549View attachment 348550

Fort Ticonderoga has always drawn me.....no idea why but was super pumped to go! I'm sure I had read it but I didn't realize that there had been so many cannons there! No wonder it was on the list for "places to see" for Ethan Allen and the Green Mtn boys when they joined the others and took the fort for the cannons!

Guess which building is New? LOL

View attachment 348552View attachment 348554View attachment 348572View attachment 348573View attachment 348574

Please, don't pay attention to that last sentence........LOL
View attachment 348551

I've always been compelled to touch special things.....of course I did since we all know, we never get another chance to! This is 1 of 10 left on the planet.....darn right I touched it!
View attachment 348557View attachment 348556View attachment 348555

Whos got balls?
The ones on the right side with the holes are Howitzer shells, the 2 smaller ones are the American Grenade and the British grenade at the end.
The cannon balls are in pounds....14, 11, 12, 8 and down
View attachment 348558

Roll your own?
View attachment 348559

I was surprised to learn that many American soldiers used these molds and they needed the other sizes in case they were issued a different caliber weapon. Apparently, the British being much more standardized, did not need so many options.

The Hudson river gets small up here~it's about 10-12 feet wide.

View attachment 348560

This pretty guy landed on...well, we couldn't photograph it THERE so I gently swooshed him and he landed on one of the chairs.

View attachment 348569

and Ed & Chris had multiple Humming bird feeders throughout their property but the one that was busiest, was in the shade of the trees....making it difficult for my camera to capture......but I couldn't let Ms Cathie down.....so here we are!

View attachment 348570View attachment 348571

I took 280 pics.....be happy that you only had to wade through a dozen or two.

So in the past year or so, we've explored Fort Sumter while we were in SC last summer, Fort McHenry a couple weeks ago and now Fort Ticonderoga.................kinda cool....maybe Kerry will assemble another book for us, with just the Forts! She makes vacation books online after we come back. Sometimes it take a few months for her to do it because she waits till it's "unlimited pics"!! LOL THAT's my girl~!
That's great! Thank you so much for the pictures. I'd never ever be able to see these places in real time, so it's a pleasure to see them through your pictures.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
280 pix? Ive learned during all of my travels to try & be selective. Time of day, lighting, composition, what are you trying to really capture, etc.

I took a trek into the high Annapurna range of Nepal many years ago….learned to select good scenes that capture the moment. Especially if you are then going to go through pix, select the best, edit, crop, lighting…..etc.

These days with a billion shots per disc it’s easy to take too many pix!

Nice lake. Nice dock! Nice cabin.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
280 pix? Ive learned during all of my travels to try & be selective. Time of day, lighting, composition, what are you trying to really capture, etc.

I took a trek into the high Annapurna range of Nepal many years ago….learned to select good scenes that capture the moment. Especially if you are then going to go through pix, select the best, edit, crop, lighting…..etc.

These days with a billion shots per disc it’s easy to take too many pix!

Nice lake. Nice dock! Nice cabin.
Forgot to say, that I’m gassing up & heading North to find that lake!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
As you and a lot of folks do Mark, it's cool to share places that feel cool when you are there. We have so much beauty in the world but the running our lives, sometimes gets in the way of us seeing it.

Kerry has "the eye" and frames and sets her scenes...............and her pics are so good.

We see it differently.....I love digital b/c I can snap as many as I want, then pick from the mess<LOL>! I see my own photography as a simple means of activating memories......if others can enjoy them, I think that's very cool but my primary reason for taking a picture is not to show it to others. That might be why mine suck most of the time compared to those others take....but they are perfect for me.

I simply take them to "remind" me, so all it needs to do for my purposes, is to remind me of the place.....then it feels good on the inside....kinda selfish when I put it that way, but its honest.