Forum attutude

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I was taught that instead of only bitching about things that we also needed to take whatever steps needed to change the stuff we were complaining about. (whew)
SO...instead of whining about how the general feeling of the forum has changed, I want to make this thread totally about what steps are needed to change things. So...here you go... what do you think we need to do to put the forum back on track?
I will warn you, this is MY thread and I want positive posts about positive steps forward, I don't want to hear complaining about what's wrong.. we KNOW the forum as a whole has taken a downward turn. I get emails complaining about things, Tim/Robin have gotten emails about the lousy attitude here and I'll bet a lot of you have too. So here's your chance to air your opinions, NOT your complaints. Well, if you air a complaint then you also need to include a way to make things better...so what do you say?
I know one complaint was about moving posts or threads. I have done that a couple of times and that pretty much is a moderator option. BUT...maybe when we do that we need to post a reason for the move and telling where we moved to. I just moved the thread and didn't explain why. So if I do that in the future, I will explain why and where I put it....Next? Here's your chance...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're right. We're supposed to try to show ways to correct a problem when we're complaining about something.

I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but hopefully others will read the thread and give us some good advice.

I love this forum! I spend quite a bit of time reading what our members have posted and getting to know them. I'm really glad to have it to turn to during these boring, cold, dreary winter days. And the spammers are keeping me on my toes too!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
One simple suggestion, be willing to accept that there are more ways to do any one thing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ask a dozen different people and you will get a dozen different opinions, (I still have to look that word up), Honestly I can't think of anything that is wrong, I know this does not help much. people need to learn that forum talk is just forum talk, and you shoud not take anything personally. I know I don't

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tim/Robin said:
One simple suggestion, be willing to accept that there are more ways to do any one thing.

This is SO true!!! According to Andy Highfield, there is only ONE way to take care of a tortoise and anyone who has a differing opinion is not allowed to post on his listserv. I HOPE that we here on the forum are a little more understanding and if someone keeps their tortoise differently that we do, but it works for them, then more power to you! I've changed a few of my old-school habits since being here.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I love this forum. I agree with Tim & Robin - acceptance is a wonderful thing.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I have strongly believed that you never write emails or call people when you are angry. When I see a post or thread that I find inflammatory, or annoying, I just pass on it. I can appreciate passion about topics, but I feel that once anger and frustration appear, people start to feed on it. With that said, I enjoy the forum and appreciate the help and support.

Merry Christmas, by the way.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I LOVE this forum! If it wasnt for you guys (especially yvonne and meg) I dont think crush would be here now!
No ''bitching'' should have ever been involved!
You ask 20 people the same question.. you will get 20 different answers!
What works for some.. doesnt work for others!

People on here are offering help, so people appricaiate it... Its Christmas!
Its their opinion that you have asked for, and an opinion you will get.. not fact or fiction!

Knowbody knows the exact truth about a tortoise apart from the man/thing who made them.

Everybody be kind!

xx

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I think there needs to be no more skirting of the rules, especially on the lines of offering things that "attack" other members.

Just because it is not against forum guidelines to say someone's POST is stupid, should we? Technically its perfectly fine to do so, but does it make that person feel any less attacked? I have seen that technique a lot in recent days. And when reminded of the rules, usually a poster is smug in saying "I broke no rules, I CAN say someone's post is stupid" instead of taking a step back and cooling off.

I think people need to take a second to think about how the person on the other end is feeling when you say something like "When you have more experience, you'll know better" etc etc.

I've been guilty of some of these things, and I am willing to change. I just hope the change will be mirrored in others as well.

The general way we treat newbies has gotten out of hand too IMO. The Sulcata debate creeps into almost every thread and less time is spent trying to educate. There was recently a post about how two members ganged up on a newbie. Its got to stop or we will not help anyone.

M

Maggie Cummings

I guess I need to say that I too love this forum. It's one of the first things I do in the morning and several times during the day. But all of us saying how much we LOVE the forum is not helping with the problem. I personally am beginning to think that the problem is bad attitudes from certain members and too many rules. I don't think there will be many words of wisdom or advice on how to change whatever is wrong.
So I have decided that I will close this thread this evening and we will just continue on as we have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.