Forum change and this section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Last night, Josh made changes in the forum guidelines. One of the changes is important to remember for this section.

The guidelines are here:

http://tortoiseforum.org/guidelines.php#axzz2APmx3jgN

This is what you need to keep in mind for this section from this point on:

"7. Refrain from posting about religious, political, and other controversial topics un-related to tortoises. These discussions tend to be divisive and detrimental to the community. We reserve the right to remove any offending thread and/or discussion(s). "

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Jacqui said:
"7. Refrain from posting about religious, political, and other controversial topics un-related to tortoises.

Doesn't that, by definition, effectively eliminate this forum (off topic debates) from the site? If it's related to tortoises, it doesn't belong here. Correct?

Maybe we should re-name the forum to:

"Off topic debates, unless it's off topic, then you'll get banned."

;)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
While I will adamantly own up to being one that pushed for discouraging discussions of religion or politics, I kinda have to side with Tyler regarding the rest of the statement: "and other controversial topics un-related to tortoises."

As a moderator myself on another forum, I understand and respect the moderators discretion for keeping the peace and whatnot, but that statement is rather vague. For example, the topic of gun control / gun ownership is controversial, is that off-limits as well? I mention it because it is occasionally discussed here, and does technically fall within that category of controversial, yet from my observations, those topics do not get as "heated" as those regarding religion or politics.

My concern is that members are going to be "walking on egg shells" so to speak, always questioning if anything they post in the Off-topic section will be considered "controversial." The administration may want to consider restructuring that part of the guidelines to be more clear.

This is just coming from my experience as a moderator. Personally, I have "real life" friends and family to converse about controversial topics, because honestly, those topics are better discussed within an in-person setting where everyone is civil and can remain professional. I joined this forum primarily to talk about tortoises, turtles and other herps as well.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TylerStewart said:
Jacqui said:
"7. Refrain from posting about religious, political, and other controversial topics un-related to tortoises.

Doesn't that, by definition, effectively eliminate this forum (off topic debates) from the site? If it's related to tortoises, it doesn't belong here. Correct?

Maybe we should re-name the forum to:

"Off topic debates, unless it's off topic, then you'll get banned."

;)

Was actually my first reaction also, until I took the time to think about it. Many of the topics in here, while open to debate are not controversial. This way, we have a place where you can still politely debate things and if it is something that ends up becoming too controversial it will be stopped. Believe me, nobody will be banned for just starting a thread on something found to be controversial. Geesh. :D What would get you banned, would be if you continued such postings, after being told it was a subject not allowed.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Jacqui said:
Was actually my first reaction also, until I took the time to think about it. Many of the topics in here, while open to debate are not controversial. This way, we have a place where you can still politely debate things and if it is something that ends up becoming too controversial it will be stopped. Believe me, nobody will be banned for just starting a thread on something found to be controversial. Geesh. :D What would get you banned, would be if you continued such postings, after being told it was a subject not allowed.

I see.... So we can debate who is better equipped to fight bad guys; batman or superman, but once DMMJ gets his feeling hurt because he wears batman underwear, then the conversation gets deleted. Got it, I think.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, we are going to get back on topic here.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Insulting other members and or trying to start a flame war is not allowed.
FYI I wear sponge bob underwear, as long as you don't insult him we are cool.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOVE, love, love that delete button. Damn! I feel so empowered!!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
dmmj said:
FYI I wear sponge bob underwear, as long as you don't insult him we are cool.

I knew I should have never given you my cell number. I keep getting these pics at 2AM and 4AM in the morning, and was wondering who this guy was.

tumblr_m8mnkabp621qj4999o1_500.jpg

emysemys said:
LOVE, love, love that delete button. Damn! I feel so empowered!!

It's apparent that this forum is being run as a dictatorship, but I am also curious to know why last year's winner still has never got their prize.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG, Tyler...you are very quick on the uptake!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
End of discussion.
Last years winner DECLINED his prize because he said he couldn't use it.

Yes, this new rule makes this subforum useless. Thus it will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.