Forum Signatures Feedback

What should be allowed in signatures:

• Leave it as it is! Anything goes!

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Links are OK but photos should go!

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I like links if they're relevant and non-spammy. No photos though!

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • I agree with Josh - No links or photos!

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Some changes are going to be made to our policy on member signatures. We're seeing a lot of really LARGE, obnoxious, and worst of all - SPAMMY signatures being used. Threads are starting to look cluttered and disorganized. My initial thoughts were to disallow links and images from all signatures, but the moderators and other volunteers have convinced me otherwise. The idea behind no links or images is that we can use our profiles and avatars for those things.
I would like to hear any feedback you all might have but be aware that the decision will ultimately be made by myself and the moderators.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
The signatures are nothing compared to the over abundance of advertisements. That is what I feel is taking over the site. My vote, leave the signatures alone!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think sigs and links (relevant) are okay but the photo's aren't necessary.

Tim/Robin said:
The signatures are nothing compared to the over abundance of advertisements. That is what I feel is taking over the site. My vote, leave the signatures alone!

I'm okay with the advertisements. In fact, I think that's also probably helping keep this sight up.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I like it the way it is, everyone has a choice with several options. I change mine every so often for diversity.

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
I think as long as there's an option to turn off viewing signatures in the User CP (and there is), leave them alone with a no SPAM stipulation. While a lot of them are gigantic and make reading a thread annoying with repetitive pictures in signatures of users who post frequently, I guess as long as there's the option to not see it, it somehow balances out.
It's unfortunate though, because the text portion of a user's signature where they list what critters they have can be useful in finding someone to talk to about a specific question. It's just when the signature becomes a gigantic long list or has photos that it takes up too much space and clutters.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I like the signature option...and anything should go...AS LONG AS IT'S TORTOISE-REALATED!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Tim/Robin said:

I agree!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have to say that I love all the tortoise pics people has in their signatures but I think that sometimes, the thread look kind of busy... so I agree that the pics should go.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You won't notice many of the more spam type sigs because Yvonne works really hard to keep spam off of this site and we should all thank her for that huge job she does.

My own thoughts are to leave the sigs as a place to put your call name, for those folks who have a forum ID type name, not their own name. I can also see having a short list of what you have, but hey if folks like myself do that, then the list becomes a page long. It's one reason Josh has given you the ability within your own profile to share those lists. So for that reason, I am starting to see the reasoning behind having those not be in the sig.

We already have places you can advertise things you have for sale and even a section where you could post your personal things like if you run a rescue. I think we need a section for all of you who want to "advertise" that your a breeder of this and that.

If we clean up the individual posts, then the ads (which help pay for this site to be here) will not look quite so bad.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I understand the reason for the ads, they pay Josh. My point was simply that the ads are far more bothersome than any signature. If the ads stay, the signatures stay!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't mind all the stuff. I agree with Chikken that as long as anyone who wants to can turn it off or on anytime they want, I can't see any harm in it. I don't mind the ads either. I hadn't noticed any change in the amount of ads and banners.

That damn video on Shelly's signature does slow my computer down sometimes though, even though it is kind of neat.

I think the signatures give our site a bit of character and help to understand who you are talking to a bit more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of our members have links to their sites where they sell tortoise related trinkets, some sell their art work where they'll paint your animal's picture, some of our members actually sell tortoise food (mazuri), or supplies.

In my opinion, spam is spam, whether its about tortoises or not. We can't tell Susie Cream Cheese that her signature link advertising her brother's art work is not allowed and then allow Joe the Plumber to advertise his Mazuri Tortoise Diet in his signature link.

I like the Personal Promotion section, but it seems to be turning into a sales section. I thought it was going to be where we could promote our tortoise rescue web site or something like that.

How about if we have a sales section. Not a "FOR sale" section, but a section where we could enter our name and what we sell along with our links. Then when someone says where can I buy Mazuri? We just show them the thread where all the Mazuri sales people have shown us their names and sites.

But the big signature pictures HAVE TO GO! Very confusing and cluttering.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tim/Robin said:

I agree completely. I enjoy how the signatures give everyone a chance to have some personality! It gives me a chance to know more about someone and where they are coming from with their opinions (Doc for instance) Since there is an option of turning off the sigs, what really is the problem?

Leave it alone please!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I turn off the signature option, then every time I want to know someone's real name I'd have to click back to their CP before I make a fool of myself by asking them what their name is. I love the forum, and its a fun (and big) part of my day, but I spend a lot of time here as it is. Looking back and forth at the CP's to see signatures would just be too much.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
None of it bothers me. I don't even see the ads. I just scrool past them. I wish I were better with the computer so I could have pictures too.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
I don't mind all the stuff. I agree with Chikken that as long as anyone who wants to can turn it off or on anytime they want, I can't see any harm in it. I don't mind the ads either. I hadn't noticed any change in the amount of ads and banners.

That damn video on Shelly's signature does slow my computer down sometimes though, even though it is kind of neat.

I think the signatures give our site a bit of character and help to understand who you are talking to a bit more.

I agree with you Tom, your last sentance "I think the signatures give our site a bit of character and help to understand who you are talking to a bit better"

I also think all the advertisements are terrible looking, however I know Josh needs to get paid.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am just tossing this out- it is NOT a policy change, official moderator comment, or anything like that...

...what if there was a fee you could pay that got you the right to a big signature?

I LIKE one of Josh's earlier proposals- a two-line sig. I changed my sig to see if I could do it and be happy with it and I really like the results.

Short, clean sigs would also make life easier for mobile users, computers with small screens, and users with slow connections.

But, some people like the 'bling'. What if you could buy the right to the bling?

Just thinking out loud (when I probably shouldn't!) :)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I like the sigs where people list their animal 'collections'. It helps me to know who is giving advice. If someone is looking for Sulcata advice, for example, it's nice to see that the person responding does in fact care for x number of sulcatas.

I also like the ability to add quotes. Shows personality.

The pictures: I like them. An easy solution is to provide a maximum size for sig pictures.

For me, I don't want to have to click on someones profile to learn more about them. It's just easier if the info is in their sig.

Some forums I belong to have strict signature formats. It looks more organized, but allows for far less creativity and personality.

I often view the forum from my mobile phone, and the sigs do not slow my performance.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
If members of this forum follow the same pattern that I am seeing in the real world, alot our financially challenged. The thread about having a live chat board, someone also mentioned a fee to join or participate. Charging a fee should not be an option. if the TFO board members feel that what is currently allowed is a problem, then just turn if off for all and that will make it policy for all to follow without issue. My gut tells me it is a done deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.