Found a baby tortoise - help needed!

Spain13

Hi all, I found a baby tortoise in my garden on Wednesday. I took it to the vet yesterday and he told me it was only a day old! Im thinking that maybe a bird dropped it as there was no sign of a shell or any other tortoises near by... Im perplexed as to how it reached me!

I'm wanting to make sure I am taking care of it properly and giving it all it needs.

I'm not sure what species it is. I'm thinking a Mediterranean since I live in Spain (Barcelona). I'm attaching a picture if someone can help?

I've set up an enclosure. I just took earth from my garden but now I think this is wrong. The yoghurt pot is a temporary measure! Could somebody tell me what it needs or guide me to the correct links?

Also, it doesn't do very much. It moves very little and I'm worried that it doesn't seem to have eaten at all. Does it just need some time to get used to the world? I've given it some lettuce, tomato, cucumber, parsley, mint and a hibiscus flower (basically stuff from my garden to replicate a natural habitat).

Any advice appreciated! I've grown very attached to it already and want to make sure that it thrives.

Thank you very much!image.jpegimage.jpeg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Oh what a gorgeous little tort! :<3: I think, (though I'm not sure), that it's a Greek tort. @HermanniChris will be able to confirm this or to correct me.

Please make sure it's warm and humid enough and give your sweet tort daily soaks in warm water. :)

I'd like to point out that tomatoes are not good for torts. Lettuce is mainly water. What of tort food? ;)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.

Spain13

Thank you.

Confirmation of the type would be great!

I'll give him a soak...

Any more help appreciated folks! Should I be worried that he doesn't seem to be eating? Should I buy fresh soil instead of using old stuff from my garden?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you.

Confirmation of the type would be great!

I'll give him a soak...

Any more help appreciated folks! Should I be worried that he doesn't seem to be eating? Should I buy fresh soil instead of using old stuff from my garden?
Please read the section on "DIET" and that on "ENCLOSURES."

Torts do not like change, thus they take time to adapt to it. Give your tort time to get used to the new environment and eventually he will start eating. So don't worry.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
By the way, you didn't answer my question as far as tort food is concerned.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's a Hermann's tortoise and a western to be exact (Testudo hermanni hermanni). You can follow my caresheet which is pinned at the top of this forum and take the advice being given by other members. Please be advised that this species is highly protected and is considered one of the most (if not the most) endangered reptile in Western Europe. You may be breaking some serious laws by keeping it.

Hope this helps. Beautiful animal.

Spain13

By the way, you didn't answer my question as far as tort food is concerned.

Hi, so (s)he's had some food and I've fancied up the cage with some terracotta dishes as recommended here. Tort food? Can you buy that from pet stores?

I went to a local pet/garden store to ask for earth for the enclosure however the stuff they sold me looks a bit 'damp' and perhaps is too soily - the tortoise has it all stuck to his legs this morning. I found Tortoise Earth on Amazon however I can't seem to source it in Spain...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Coco coir from the garden store is good.

What's important is that substrate contains no sand (sticks to food and impacts in the gut), no chemical fertilisers and no bits (vermiculite, small stones, calcium pieces) that might tempt a tortoise to eat it... they're not very bright. A soil texture is fine.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
@HermanniChris is correct regarding the protected status of these animals. If this is indeed a baby which hatched in the wild from wild parents, it is illegal for you to keep it and you risk serious sanctions if you're ever caught without the appropriate paperwork.

That said, I genuinely have no idea where you would be able to go. In Italy, the animal would have to be turned over to the State Forestry Corps who would then deal with its reintroduction to the wild. Is there an equivalent in Spain? If not, I'd expect that a local vet might be able to point you in the right direction.

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
It is even illegal to keep this species in Catalonia just because of its protected status. I know somebody who is involved in a conservation center in Catalonia so reach out if you require some help on that.

Beautiful animal...

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
Lol, obviously didn't realize but thanks for highlighting.