found a baby turtle/tortoise in Virginia

kmtravis

Location (City and/or State)
Lorton, VA
I was out for my walk and found a turtle. He was injured.... I left him the first day and saw him again the next day... in the middle of the sidewalk.... We have rain coming (not in the path of the hurricane anymore at this time) and I really did not think he would survive (he was bleeding, but, it has stopped now), so I picked him up and brought him home. Anyway... I had no idea how tricky it is to keep these guys alive and that is my goal. I have no idea what he is. (My guess is a box of some kind?) Also... trying to post a picture...am not being successful.......

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
When you are writing a post, if on a computer, at the bottom right of the posting box, next to the "post reply" button is "upload a file". Click on that a browse on your computer to select the picture. Then select "full image" when it appears after uploading. The picture will then appear as part of your post and noone needs to click to see it.

ON a smart phone with the app, you will have a little icon on the bottom of your screen as you are posting of a camera (to take a picture) and next to that of a picture - to browse on your phone to select an existing picture.

We need pictures to offer any help for you!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
So good of you to help him. What is the injury like and where?

kmtravis

Lorton, VA
When you are writing a post, if on a computer, at the bottom right of the posting box, next to the "post reply" button is "upload a file". Click on that a browse on your computer to select the picture. Then select "full image" when it appears after uploading. The picture will then appear as part of your post and noone needs to click to see it.

ON a smart phone with the app, you will have a little icon on the bottom of your screen as you are posting of a camera (to take a picture) and next to that of a picture - to browse on your phone to select an existing picture.

We need pictures to offer any help for you!
View attachment 251414 View attachment 251414 View attachment 251414 View attachment 251414 View attachment 251414

Attachments

• IMG-3650.JPG
    IMG-3650.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG-3657.JPG
    IMG-3657.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG-3661.JPG
    IMG-3661.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 58

kmtravis

Lorton, VA
Oh, as far as his injury... He had a bloody spot on his head.... almost like a bird pecked at him....
I am curious to know if he is a box turtle, or what he is exactly... and what I need to do for him. I had no idea that I might (probably will) need lots of items to give him the best shot at living ... also wondering if I could rehabilitate him and then put him back?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is a baby box turtle.

kmtravis

Lorton, VA
That is a baby box turtle.
Well, I'm pretty proud of myself then. :) That's what I thought. OK. I actually have a connection with someone who raises baby box turtles (she told me about this forum, and told me to double check, she thought it was a box as well). Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be against the law to pick up box turtles in your state. Better check into it.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
This little one needs regular water soakings to replace lost fluids and some baby food soakings to help with vitamin and calorie intake. Check PM.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wonderful little creature - hope you do right by him and he goes on to live a full and free life!