Found a desert tortoise in my front yard. Help?

Lily

Hello everyone. I found an animal in my yard today and through a few google image searches figured out that it is some kind of desert tortoise. He may be a Sonoran or Mojave? Either way he is definitely not native to IL. He was not opposed to being picked up or being touched, and had clipped nails so he is clearly a pet. While I find his owner (hopefully he was not dumped) I would like to know how to care for him. Its nice and hot out, so I put him in an old rabbit hutch outside with some grass. I think he just wanted a quiet place to chill, so I let him be.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have never owned a tortoise, although I did have a painted turtle once a long time ago.

Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lily:

It would be a good idea for you to post a picture of the tortoise so we can be sure of what species you have. A top view and a bottom view, if you would please.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It won't let me see the pictures, Lily.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do I have to be friends to view the pic.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just looked for you on Facebook, and I was able to see the pictures. It's a sulcata tortoise, not a desert tortoise - someone's escaped pet.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Lily

Thanks everyone.

What do I feed it?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 53

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks everyone.

What do I feed it?
Check the sulcata and leopard sticky threads… there are some important threads about them, check tom's threads… also try your best :) good luck!

Lily

Thanks. I realize that it is difficult to age him based on size, but there are different care instructions based on age. Is he juvenile or adult? Should I soak him since he has not had much water today?

I gave him a low bowl with water (my hedgehog will be missing his food bowl) and a bunch of grass from my backyard that has not been mowed (fescue I think). The rabbit hutch lets in light, but we also has a roofless house to hide from the sun. Outside is still hot and humid.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You can fill a tupperware tote with up with warm water and let him soak & drink. It would come up to his neck. Make sure he can stick his head up of course. About 15 or 20 mins would be good for him. He is not a baby, but not full grown. I would treat him like an adult. He can eat all kinds of things out of your yard, the sticky tabs under sulcata will tell you. You might want to check lost and founds on craigslist, news paper. Also fliers might help you locate his owner. These guys do need a lot of secure room to roam in the sunshine. Do not worry about too hot, as long as you give him some shade to retreat toand a nice place to hide. Hope you find his home. Good luck and ask a lot of questions here on the forum in the meantime :)

Lily

Thanks everyone for the help. One of my friends had actually wanted to rescue a tortoise so she picked him up and put him in a newly built enclosure. If the original owner does contact me I know where to get him, but in the mean time he is being cared for by someone who knows much more about reptiles (most of my experience is with mammals.)

Again, thanks for all the advice!

I know where to go next time I find a random tortoise. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thanks everyone for the help. One of my friends had actually wanted to rescue a tortoise so she picked him up and put him in a newly built enclosure. If the original owner does contact me I know where to get him, but in the mean time he is being cared for by someone who knows much more about reptiles (most of my experience is with mammals.)

Again, thanks for all the advice!

I know where to go next time I find a random tortoise. :)[/QUOT

Great job and a good deed. Welcome to the forum. So, after all this....Are you thinking of getting a torts??