Found a snapper baby in my chicken's beak

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I used an extra piece of the clear tubing that came with the filter to extend the diffuser. I actually removed the elbow piece and the diffuser piece and just put the tube on so the water flows out the end of the tube. Seems to be working much better and "Scratch" (as in chicken scratch) likes to sit where there is water moving over his shell.
LOVE the name Scratch!!! :D

Well, for starters, what foods are you feeding that float, and what foods are you feeding that don't float?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Assuming you're actually feeding appropriate food, it is VERY hard to have a snapping turtle starve itself just because it's so picky that it only likes foods that float. Leave the food in there long enough, and he'll eat it.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Well, for starters, what foods are you feeding that float, and what foods are you feeding that don't float?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Assuming you're actually feeding appropriate food, it is VERY hard to have a snapping turtle starve itself just because it's so picky that it only likes foods that float. Leave the food in there long enough, and he'll eat it.
I've offered cooked chicken and lean beef, different fruit like bananas, cranberries and grapes and these all sink. What he will eat is pellets, mealworms and dried shrimp...all of which float. I am taking out the meat after an hour or so because I'm afraid of it going bad and fouling up the water...maybe I need to leave it in for the day?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What about natural "found" food items like dead insects, slugs, snails, pink mice? They'll float too. No side-reference to Stephen King's "IT" intended - LOL.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Up to 74 grams as of last night! So "he" has basically doubled his weight. It is amazing to watch him literally grow before my eyes as compared to tortoises which is like watching grass grow.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
are you considering releasing back into the wild? if it has some function in the foot then I think it has a good likelihood of survival. Are they opportunistic feeders waiting for their prey to come by? or do they need their legs to chase down food?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
are you considering releasing back into the wild? if it has some function in the foot then I think it has a good likelihood of survival. Are they opportunistic feeders waiting for their prey to come by? or do they need their legs to chase down food?
As far as I know it is a combination of both. He doesn't swim well at all, so unless that changes I'm going to keep him.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Oh, please do keep him!!!!!:)
I'm going to have to, which I'm ok with since I have grown quite fond of him. I was watching him last night and he really struggles to get around in any kind of a hurry. If the food floats past his face he is great at snatching it and eating it, but if he has to move to get it he is usually too slow.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That's good, If you are going to keep him the more he is handled as a youngster the less aggressive he will be towards you as he grows into an adult and also less stressful on him when you take him out of the water. Common snappers are mostly docile when in water but can be really nasty when out of water. Hopefully it's a male because they don't get near the size as the females.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
That's good, If you are going to keep him the more he is handled as a youngster the less aggressive he will be towards you as he grows into an adult and also less stressful on him when you take him out of the water. Common snappers are mostly docile when in water but can be really nasty when out of water. Hopefully it's a male because they don't get near the size as the females.
So do you think what I am doing is enough handling, or should I do more? He doesn't seem to mind when I pick him up, he just sits there and lets me weigh him. He is also starting to come near me when he sees me with food.