Found a tort. Questions about hibernation.

Corey Rae

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
For starters I live in Orange County, CA where highs are about 65 degrees Fahrenheit, and lows are about 50 degrees Fahrenheit this time of year. I already have 2 desert tortoises that are still hibernating in our garage. A woman found a tort walking in the street after asking around, asked if I would take it. If the owner does not appear, we will keep it.

Two main questions:
1. If he was out roaming the streets, he obviously was not hibernating. Do I hibernate him for the next couple months? Or, since I don't know his health, just keep him "awake". If I keep him awake, don't I need to take steps to make sure he stays warm enough? What are some good suggestions? I have heat lamps, a heating pad, etc. I have a large plastic/tote bin I can put him in with a clamp heating lamp? Suggestions please! (I already gave him a nice long soak)

2. He looks to me like a Russian? He is about 5 inches long. Long tail, but can't see the slit, because I can't get a look under the tail. I know it's near impossible to know for sure, but any guesses on age?

upload_2018-2-16_10-41-10.jpegupload_2018-2-16_10-41-40.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Do you know if those plants are safe to feed? I see at least one that is poisonous.

Corey Rae

Orange County, CA
Do you know if those plants are safe to feed? I see at least one that is poisonous.
Which are poisonous? I will do research for Russians diets, since my only knowledge is on Deserts. It is nasturtium leaves and flowers, wandering jew, snail vine leaves/flower, grass/clovers from a dry climate grazing mix I bought off tortoisesupply.com, dandelion, hibiscus leaves, and I did put a little bok choy but was told to give it very rarely. Thank you!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Which are poisonous? I will do research for Russians diets, since my only knowledge is on Deserts. It is nasturtium leaves and flowers, wandering jew, snail vine leaves/flower, grass/clovers from a dry climate grazing mix I bought off tortoisesupply.com, dandelion, hibiscus leaves, and I did put a little bok choy but was told to give it very rarely. Thank you!!

Oh, I apologize! I mistook the clover for wood sorrel(I think it’s spelled along those lines, anyway). That seems to be a pretty good diet!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

You have someone’s lost pet; check the lost pets page of your local FaceBook community.

I am also in Orange County; our Russian is also an escapee (they all are!). The first year we had her she hibernated in the yard before we knew what was happening; she popped back out February 10, during a warm spell, so just about now.

These days she hibernates in a fridge and we brought her out this week; she should be fully alert by Sunday.

In other words, your tortoise is up for the year. :)

If you keep him care will be similar to your desert tortoises but he needs to be housed separately from them. If he’s going to be outside, he’ll need to be kept in the 60s at night; you can accomplish this with a nheated ight box (check other threads). Our Russian is in her night box now, to ensure she is warm enough. If he’s going to be inside he may not need nighttime heat, just basking heat. Take a look at the Russian care sheet mentioned above. You may need a larger enclosure than the plastic bin but it sounds like you have many of the things you’ll need to set things up properly. Just make sure to follow the instructions on making it escape proof!