Found a tortoise - what to do?

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I am very new to tortoises but I did a quick google search for Native Massachusetts Tortoise and the only native species coming up are turtles. Maybe this guy/gal escaped from someone’s yard. You could ask around with your neighbors and see if anyone is missing a tortoise. They seem to be notorious for this if not in a good enclosure outside.
Hopefully one of the true experts will pipe in soon to offer advice.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi. I just found a tortoise at my house in northern Massachusetts. Can anyone help identify it? If it’s native I want to just get it unstuck but if non native I wasn’t sure what to do? Thanks!
That's got to be someone's pet, that's not a native tortoise.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
thanks everyone. I made a post in the town forum and will work to get some signs made. I’ll do some research as well but any immediate suggestions for care? I’ve given water and romaine lettuce as I wasn’t sure what it was or how long it’s been on the run
The Nextdoor app is a good way to connect with neighbors to get the word out too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Please vet who responds carefully. That is a very valuable tortoise. Do not put in your post what type. Let the person claiming the tortoise describe it to you. They would even have pictures of a tortoise like that. It is a Burmese Mountain Tortoise. Manouria emys

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi. I just found a tortoise at my house in northern Massachusetts. Can anyone help identify it? If it’s native I want to just get it unstuck but if non native I wasn’t sure what to do? Thanks!

That is DEFINITELY someone’s pet.
Please search for the owner.
He is probably going out of his mind!
Poor guy, looks sad and hungry… ?