Found a tortoise...

Melissaann

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
So my fiancé found this guy on the side of the rode in florida today... Can anyone tell me what kind of tortoise this is? My friends have a Sulcata and they say that's what we have found but can someone confirm? They are telling me he looks sick like he was not well cared for... I'm just not sure what you guys think or what I should be doing to care for him until we figure out what we are going to do long term? Can he hang out outside and get sun?

Thank you guys :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 171

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I'm no expert, but looks to me like a red foot tortoise? He looks dehydrated, I'd try giving him a soak in shallow warm water.

Some others more experienced will give you more specific advice

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am getting a terrible glare on my laptop screen (I am outside), so I can't see the pictures well, but I will agree with the other person on it looking like a redfoot to me.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Definitely looking like a red (maybe yellow?) foot to me. Looks relatively well cared for to me, though it's hard to tell in these pictures. You should try and return it to its owners (posting found ads, etc.) as it is likely someone's pet. Check out the redfoot section in the mean time while he's in your care. :) This species needs lots of humidity, greens, weeds, some fruit and protein, too. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I agree you should try to find the RF tortoise's owner.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on it being a RF and finding the owner. Also, yes, he can hang out, outside the sunshine, humidity and fertilizer and pesticide free grass/weeds will be good for him. There are other foods you should give him also, you should find that in the RF section.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If yo try to find it's original owner. When posting the found ad, just say lost tortoise, please call/write/text to ID. If you post all the details about it, you will get lots of people looking for a free tortoise. oh and
salutations.

Melissaann

Jacksonville, Florida
Hey everyone update. I posted ads on craigslist and a few other lost pet sites but I never heard anything. We also frequent the area we found him in so I still look for signs but nothing so we now have a tortoise. He's pretty awesome and has really changed my opinion on reptiles. And my fiancé is obsessed with making his habitats.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
He is a red footed and he is slightly pyramiding but appart from that he looks good to me, he will love being out in the sun. Have a lot in the red footed section for a care sheet and be sure to phone around the local pet shops and see if anyone is missing a tort :)

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Hey everyone update. I posted ads on craigslist and a few other lost pet sites but I never heard anything. We also frequent the area we found him in so I still look for signs but nothing so we now have a tortoise. He's pretty awesome and has really changed my opinion on reptiles. And my fiancé is obsessed with making his habitats.
Only just seen this! Welcome to the tort family! You wont regret it :p

Sarah Winchester

Cornwall

Welcome to the Forum :)