Found Baby Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

basmith

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone,
I found an Arizona Sonoran Desert Tortoise on Saturday while deer hunting. It was stuck on it's back and was very cold. He would move a little when I touched his feet. I put him in my warm glove and brought him home as I don't believe it would have lasted long in that cold. I know it is illegal to own one of these, but I thought I could give him a good home. My in-laws have an acre property where they have owned two tortoises before. It has apple trees and what not that the tortoises are able to eat. Right now I have him in a small tank with dirt from my garden. What would be the best set up to make him live and stay healthy? Should I put something else in besides dirt? What about UV lighting?

Thanks for the help

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
You did what I would've (and what most here would've)! The first thing you need to do is pick up a Mercury Vapor Bulb...they're pricey, but last a long time...and it's the BEST light source for him...other than the sun...which, being as you're in AZ, you can put a makeshift home for him outside...as long as temps are above 65! Try converting a kiddie pool or something similar...a plastic storage box or the like. Oh yeah...I almost forgot...pictures would be nice! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see your little one!;)

basmith

5 Year Member
I will take some pictures of it when I get home from work. How long would it need to be outside to get sun each day? Also, I read somewhere that it is not good to handle a baby tortoise to much. So, would it put stress on it if I took him out of his tank once a day and put him outside?

DeanS said:
You did what I would've (and what most here would've)! The first thing you need to do is pick up a Mercury Vapor Bulb...they're pricey, but last a long time...and it's the BEST light source for him...other than the sun...which, being as you're in AZ, you can put a makeshift home for him outside...as long as temps are above 65! Try converting a kiddie pool or something similar...a plastic storage box or the like. Oh yeah...I almost forgot...pictures would be nice! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see your little one!;)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I will leave most of this to the experts, but, Cyperess (SP?) mulch is better. He needs a place to hide. A water dish big enough to soak in and a piece of slate tile to eat off. AND HE NEEDS LIGHTS!!!!!! For heat. The experts can tell you exactly what kind. How big is he? How big is the tank? You may need something bigger. I would give him a worm soak right away (not hot). What are you feeding him?

basmith

5 Year Member
I have him in a ten gallon tank right now. I have given him a piece of an apple and a leaf from my green pepper plant. He is about 3 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches wide. His eyes always seem to be shut. Not sure if that is normal for a new hatchling or not.

Angi said:
I will leave most of this to the experts, but, Cyperess (SP?) mulch is better. He needs a place to hide. A water dish big enough to soak in and a piece of slate tile to eat off. AND HE NEEDS LIGHTS!!!!!! For heat. The experts can tell you exactly what kind. How big is he? How big is the tank? You may need something bigger. I would give him a worm soak right away (not hot). What are you feeding him?

moswen

5 Year Member
hey, did you get anything that night? we're going for turkey over thanksgiving. if az has the same rules as ca, you can apply for a permit to own these tortoises. if he was stuck upside down he might have some minor problems (dehydration) so they would probably allow you to keep him. but i don't know how anyone would find out you had him (unless they joined the forum!). i'm glad you're interested in giving him the best possible care! all tortoises need a source of uvb light, you can get a trex or powersun uva/uvb full spectrum bulb, but it's very important that the box says uva AND uvb. the higher wattages are for desert tortoises. you might not need anohter heat source if you have him in a small container, but tortoises do need a little room to roam. lots of us have our hatchlings in under bed storage conainers or other big plastic storage bins from walmart. 2x3 or 4 feet or something like that would be really nice for the little guy.

you need to keep him on a substrate that holds moisture well, dirt with dead leaves is a good mixture, i use cypress mulch because i live in town and chemicals are everywher here. keep his substrate slightly moist, because hatchlings need humidity to keep from pyramiding. he needs to have a basking spot where it is warmer and a cooler end where he can escape the heat. temps under his heat lamp (uvb bulb) should be around 90-100 degrees, the cooler area needs to be around 75. he needs a clean water dish at all times and a warm 15 minute soak every day to keep hydrated. get him a hide, it can be a sideways pot or a big pile of leaves or something like that. add a humid hide box closer to the heat source because a cold and wet tortoise can lead to uri's. you need a wet and warm tortoise! put sphagnum moss or something else in a container and keep it constantly moist.

he'll need to eat lots of dark leafy greens such as kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, a little bit of spinach but not much, hibiscus, bananna leaves, grape leaves, fig leaves, mulberry leaves, pumpkin, butternut and spaghetti squash, and most importantly... cactus! cactus is very high in fiber, which is what all tortoises have to have. he'll also need a source of calcium, you can buy cuttlebone for birds and put that in his enclosure with him, he'll eat it when he needs it. try to stay away from any lettuces including romaine, they just don't supply enough nutrients. it's like you eating candy all day.

i hope that covered a lot of your questions, let me know if you need any more!

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hmmm he is a desert tort and really shouldnt be eating apples. Do you have dandelion weeds they love them also you can buy a huge bag of mustard and collard greens at your local food market and a bag of spring mix. Try not to feed him the spinach much or at all because it isn't good for them. The ten gallon tank is fine for now since you are still figuring out what you are doing :) Also give him a nice warm soak in a tupperware container for 20 mins. I don't think his eyes should be closed maybe he is cold so you should get him a CHE ( Ceramic heat emmiter) and a Mercury Vapor Bulb right away to warm him up!

moswen

5 Year Member
oh, there's something wrong with my computer i guess, i didn't see all the other replies! sorry angi and dean!

also, if it's 3 inches it's not a hatchling, it's probably 2 years old or so. and the closed eyes is kind of worrisome, does he walk around and eat if you pick him up and move him about for a minute?

basmith

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info. @Moswen: No, I am a deer hunter that will never get a deer. We say 4 does, but no bucks. I do have raised garden beds that are outside that I could put him in. The beds have pumpkin leaves, green peppers and green onions in them. Would this be a better place to keep him? This way he would get natural sunlight? The temps do get into the 40's at night around the Phoenix area in the winter. Is this too cold?

He does move around but not that much. I haven't been handling too much as I didn't want to stress him out.

moswen said:
oh, there's something wrong with my computer i guess, i didn't see all the other replies! sorry angi and dean!

also, if it's 3 inches it's not a hatchling, it's probably 2 years old or so. and the closed eyes is kind of worrisome, does he walk around and eat if you pick him up and move him about for a minute?

M

Maggie Cummings

basmith said:
Thanks for all the info. @Moswen: No, I am a deer hunter that will never get a deer. We say 4 does, but no bucks. I do have raised garden beds that are outside that I could put him in. The beds have pumpkin leaves, green peppers and green onions in them. Would this be a better place to keep him? This way he would get natural sunlight? The temps do get into the 40's at night around the Phoenix area in the winter. Is this too cold?

He does move around but not that much. I haven't been handling too much as I didn't want to stress him out.

moswen said:

They are grazers so fruit is not good for them...they can't process the sugar in fruit. Give him grass and weeds and Spring mix with collards and other leafy greens...and a nice warm soak...he's too cold right now...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
He will need bigger than 10 gallon, but Dean covered that. I think heat and soaks will do wonders for him. Check out the food and diet section here. Pick up some organic spring mix from the grocery to start with. No friut. Also get him some calcium to sprinkle on his food. Any pet store should be able to hook you up with the lights, calcium a hide and substrate. You can get a plastic bin to keep him in and a piece of tile at Home Depot. Read as much as you can on here. It has the most up to date info. Actually a plastic shoe box from Home Depot would make a better hide and cost about a dollar. You just need to cut a hole in it. That is a start anyway......

moswen

5 Year Member
well, i'm sorry to hear that! you'll get a nice big fat one just out of rut... it'll be worth the wait! that's exactly what happend to me. i agree he might be too cold, soak him asap in really warm water. desert tortoises hibernate over winter, so you really shouldn't leave him out side. you're not going to stress him out unless you carry him around in a backpack all day, but picking him up and moving him about his enclosure will not cause him deadly levels of stress. soon he'll be looking for you as the god of food and he'll come running to you to get some of that yummy goodness.

don't feed him fruit!

i don't know if peppers or onions are good or not but i bet not, just pick a few pumpkin leaves and bring them in to him. he needs a daily staple of almost 100% greens, with the pumpkin or squash salad topper and the occasional (once a month) cactus fruit or something. mazuri is also a good thing to feed him 2 or 3 pellets once a week, soaked in hot water first.

what you have him in is fine for a few weeks or even till the spring, but he can't have a small container as his permanent enclosure. you can build him one if you want, i built my spider's enclosure.

basmith

5 Year Member
He is probably closer to 2 inches long than 3.

moswen said:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
WARMTH is what it needs.. a good warm soak, and then dry warmth... the other stuff can wait a few days until you know if he comes around...
Even food... if he is too cold he wont eat.. so work on the warmth issue first... 80-90 minimum at this point... just watch, minimum handling. it will cause more stress and stress can kill...
good luck!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think we were all typing at the same time. I guess the excitment of someone finding a baby in need was too much for us. Good luck with the baby they are so sweet. If you decide to keep him you will probably fall in love with being a tortoise keeper:)

basmith

5 Year Member
OK, I got my hands on a 20 gallon tank. I plan to cover the sides with some sort of paper so to not stress the little guy. I plan on putting in plain desert dirt along with some dead and green leaves from my backyard. I will go buy a shallow dish for water tonight as well as well as a uva/uvb lamp. I hope he becomes more alert after a few soaks in warm water. My son really wants this guy to make it.

kimmer

5 Year Member
We all want this little guy to make it! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Basmith, here's a care sheet that I made for sulcata tortoises. You don't need all the humidity and moisture, but everything else applies; including substrate, temps, diet, cage furnishings, a humid hide box, etc.
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Leaves and dirt are not the best way to go for an indoor set-up. There is a lot to learn about keeping a tortoise indoors and this should get you started. Hope it helps.

basmith

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom. Do you all think he will be okay if I don't get a heating lamp right away? I would hate to pay a lot of money for a nice lamp and he doesn't make it. I could put him by the window during the day to get some sun light. Let me konw if you think this will be okay.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Go to the store and get a 100 watt incandescent bulb and a clamp light fixture. He will be okay without a UV light for some time, but NOT okay without heat. He needs heat ASAP!

Sunlight will do nothing for him, because the UV rays do not pass through the glass. But heat right now is more important than UV. Warm that baby up or he will die.

Status
Not open for further replies.