Found bug in my red foots substratešŸ˜¢

GGambleGG

Location (City and/or State)
Mooresville, Nc
Recently moved in to a new house, made sure it had a whole room I could dedicate to my guy, but Iā€™ve had a juvenile redfoot since mid December and have been around enough forums and talked to enough people to know I have his enclosure at the proper temp and humidity, I know I have the right dirt, Iā€™ve eliminated all bright lights, I soak the guy daily in some warm but never got water which seems to be the only place he has any interest in exploring, as when I return him to his enclosure, he just crawls into his spot and hides and wonā€™t come out to bask, which is really more of an option as itā€™s located in a separate spot so the light doesnā€™t bother him, Iā€™ve had to change his scenery a few times due to the move and I have him half *** quarantined in some clean substrate with just a spot for him to hide, but now that I know we have bugs getting in his room, how bad is that/do I need to be looking for anything?
Also any tips for helping him feel safer/more comfortable or at least be active to the point I donā€™t have to worry if heā€™s even in there? Iā€™ve been keeping a few spiders alive for a few years but Iā€™m still pretty new to the tortoise game so any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Any idea what kind of bugs? Bugs are pretty normal in & about substrate - springtails, or gnats or fruit flies. A tortā€™s enclosure with warmth, moisture, feces & bits of food (maybe fruit too with a RF) create the perfect environment for ā€œbugsā€.

GGambleGG

Mooresville, Nc
Any idea what kind of bugs? Bugs are pretty normal in & about substrate - springtails, or gnats or fruit flies. A tortā€™s enclosure with warmth, moisture, feces & bits of food (maybe fruit too with a RF) create the perfect environment for ā€œbugsā€.
Weā€™ll notices a colony of ants had taken post l, in there, along with some roaches šŸ¤¢ I just played it safe because I knew ants can bother em but wasnā€™t sure exactly because I know lots of people have outdoor enclosures and thereā€™s no way you can keep that bug free, and thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
As long as you donā€™t have those nasty biting ants! Normal little black or brown ants crawl about here too.

Get some Terro ant bait to put along ur window sills or other crawl spaces. The ants crawl through this, eat some & take it back to their nest & helps kill them all.

Weā€™ll notices a colony of ants had taken post l, in there, along with some roaches šŸ¤¢ I just played it safe because I knew ants can bother em but wasnā€™t sure exactly because I know lots of people have outdoor enclosures and thereā€™s no way you can keep that bug free, and thank you!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Recently moved in to a new house, made sure it had a whole room I could dedicate to my guy, but Iā€™ve had a juvenile redfoot since mid December and have been around enough forums and talked to enough people to know I have his enclosure at the proper temp and humidity, I know I have the right dirt, Iā€™ve eliminated all bright lights, I soak the guy daily in some warm but never got water which seems to be the only place he has any interest in exploring, as when I return him to his enclosure, he just crawls into his spot and hides and wonā€™t come out to bask, which is really more of an option as itā€™s located in a separate spot so the light doesnā€™t bother him, Iā€™ve had to change his scenery a few times due to the move and I have him half *** quarantined in some clean substrate with just a spot for him to hide, but now that I know we have bugs getting in his room, how bad is that/do I need to be looking for anything?
Also any tips for helping him feel safer/more comfortable or at least be active to the point I donā€™t have to worry if heā€™s even in there? Iā€™ve been keeping a few spiders alive for a few years but Iā€™m still pretty new to the tortoise game so any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys!
When you say you have the ā€œright dirtā€ what does that mean? From where did you get it?