found one 80 yr. old man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
hello, just wanted tell someone. a few mins. a go i found an 80 yr. old on my door step with no coat! i knew the man from the area but, not his name or address. he said his friend dumped him out of the car and he fell and hit his head. there was no blood or mark on his head.he was a delightful man but only knew his name. he said if my husband drove , he would show him where he lives. after my husband left with the man my phone rang. it was the lady next door telling me who and where this man lives! as my husband walks in the lady saids... mr. so and so isnt home , i just spoke to his wife! the man told my husband the wrong place and walked into the wrong house! i jumped in my subie and let me tell you its pretty freaking cold out, i sent the guy home in my winter coat,and there he was in the road, freezeing and trying to stop my car. i got him in and drove him to my house and his son was there waiting!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well you're one nice person to go out in the freezing cold to help him, good for you. I bet his son was happy when he saw him.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Candy said:
Well you're one nice person to go out in the freezing cold to help him, good for you. I bet his son was happy when he saw him.

seems some people are telling me this has happened befor. he has dementia, or what ever its called. i just get mad because my nannys gone, who i miss, and this guys wandering around with no coat, lost. i should tell them to atleast id the guy. ohhh.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heading sounded like a joke or craigs list ad:D :D Glad you were able to help the poor thing and that it wasn't a scam to klunk you. You have to be careful now days:(. Glad it all turned out okay:D

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
wellington said:
Heading sounded like a joke or craigs list ad:D :D Glad you were able to help the poor thing and that it wasn't a scam to klunk you. You have to be careful now days:(. Glad it all turned out okay:D

i live in a wooded area , i am also a hawk eye. i have seen this man going for short walks in the hood here. 'lol' i knew as soon as i seen him he needed help. my husband knew he lived around us too. he could have died if he did fall.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My Grandmother is a victim of this wicked devilish disease Dementia. The disease is progressive. It strips away the person that once was and leaves a shell of the person. It is wicked in that most folks see what appears at first glance to be a grown functioning older person. Only when you look into their eyes can you eventually begin to see the disease. When the first onset of the "signs" begin you have no idea they are the signs...as most folks are suffering for years before it is recognized....my Grandmother had 8 live children in her lifetime.....only two remain part of her existence now....I took care of her for a couple years when the disease was first discovered....now she is living with my Mother (her oldest child) and during the day she has to go to an adult care facility (adult day care) because my Mother teaches part time. She no longer recognizes any of us....she currently believes my Mother, her daughter, is actually her Grandmother....she has no clue who I am nor any of the folks around her. Now, if a stranger walks up and begins to speak with her...and that stranger then begins to walk away...she will begin to walk off with them because she thought she was with them....she will even give a moment of argument that she knows them and they have been friends for years....which as you can imagine has created a few awkward moments ....if my Mother does not change how she locks her doors at home every so often Grams will figure out (or get lucky playing with the locks) how to get out let's say while Mom is in the restroom or laundry room...my Mom will then have to go and retrieve her from walking about in confusion on her 2 acre property (which all gates have to be locked down so she does not wander off) only to have Grams yelling at her some obscene words (as the profanity eventually becomes their favorite use of words) and Mom just guides her back inside while changing the subject and by the timed they are back to the house she has no idea how she even got there......it is a devilish disease.....my Mom knows one day she will not be able to keep her at home any longer as her bodily functions are no longer controlled by my Grams......and as I shared with my Mom....Grams has already departed and what is lingering is the memory of her.....

So...what you did was very kind....I know first hand that you saved that family the horror that strikes you when for a moment when their person gets out of sight for a moment.....but try to be mindful that I bet they are also travelling that wicked devilish road right along with their family member.....thank you for stepping in on their life journey...it was very compassionate and loving of you dear.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good for you for helping.. next time if you call the Police dept.. non- emergency.. they could probably help you.
That poor guy needs some sort of bracelet with ID on it.. I wonder if Project Lifesaver is in your area....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are a wonderful person for helping this man. I had the opposite happen. My dementia man was sitting down right on the side of a busy, high speed road, holding his bare head in his hands in August at 2 pm. It was around 114 if you could find shade, but he was on the asphalt with no shade for miles around. I don't have any idea how many *@+$W%#&# people drove right by this man before I found him, but it was despicable! I don't know how close to death he was, but I had to carry him into my truck. He did remember where he lived after some searching and he had the key to the front door. I stayed and talked with him for a while and he showed me his artwork. It seems his hobby is collecting trash off the side of the road and making it in to art. I made him promise not to go out collecting mid day in the middle of summer and he didn't do it again that I saw. We called his son and explained what happened, and the son told me he would look after him.

The whole time I was thinking that when I am his age in his station in life, I hope some young kid will stop and help me too...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dementia and Alzheimer are my greatest fears, but since I most likely won't know the difference if it happens, I tend not to worry bout it much.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Good karma to you for your kind deed. My Father In Law suffers from this horrible disease and I would hope if he was ever in that situation someone would do as you did. x x x x x x

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Laura said:
good for you for helping.. next time if you call the Police dept.. non- emergency.. they could probably help you.
That poor guy needs some sort of bracelet with ID on it.. I wonder if Project Lifesaver is in your area....

i do agree.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My maternal grandmother, who has lived with us for about the last eight years, has a somewhat milder form of dementia...still remembers us, for the most part, but in general has a memory span for day-to-day things that can be measuredi n minutes. OTOH, I never have to learn any new clean jokes, so I can just recycle 'em a few times a day to get a laugh out of her. :p

Wheelchair bound, and rarely remembers to plug it in to recharge over-night, so we've not had to track her down, so far.

Some distant family members feel we should put her in a nearby nursing home, but that's not going to happen, as at 95, whatever time she has left is going to be here, surrounded by our love...she brings a lot of joy to our lives. :cool:

famnanny.jpg

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
momo said:
i love the picture!

I do, too...my daughter was going through the "surly teenage years" and that's the only pic from that "era" that's she's smiling in!

Only wish the oldest boy would've been in the picture, but he's always absolutely hated to be photographed...but he took the pic and told us if anyone asked, for them to just to look behind the camera. :rolleyes:

A good looking bunch...who allow me to hang around 'em. :cool:

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
my nanny drove my parents crazy asking... what time is it? they would get so upset. i would go in an answer her like it was the first time she asked me. my father says, how can you answer her over and over again? so i said , dont worry i'll do the same for you! 'lol' miss you nanny.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
momo said:
my nanny drove my parents crazy asking... what time is it? they would get so upset. i would go in an answer her like it was the first time she asked me. my father says, how can you answer her over and over again? so i said , dont worry i'll do the same for you! 'lol' miss you nanny.

I hear ya! I get that from several family members about "Doesn't she just drive you crazy?"

Having the reputation in the family as "the odd one" (possibly due my penchant for pets like large snakes, Great Danes and other oddities, and an otherwise unconventional lifestyle), I just smile, wink and tell 'em "I though y'all knew that that ship done sailed quite some time ago!"... :p

If further pressed, particularily by one obnoxious cousin, I just explain that she's 95 and the odds are good that I'll soon enough have plenty of time to miss her for the rest of my life...that usually stops such stupid questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.