Found Salcuta-can't care for it. Suggestions?

Iveron

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Hey there, just made an account for this, and as said I found what I believe is a young Salcuta tortoise in my kitchen yesterday behind my dogs food bowl, on its back.

I'm pretty sure it's young, maybe a couple months, and has a mild case of pyramiding.

If anyone wants a turtle, or can recommend a good reptile preserve around central Texas please let me know.

Attached are pictures. Seems full of energy.

IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have lots of members in Texas. Hopefully one of them will be able to take it for you.
In the mean time try finding the owners. Call local vets and animal shelters to see if anyone has called them. Also check within your neighborhood and put up signs. It's someone's lot pet.

Iveron

Austin, TX
Yeah my father is caring for it right now, he has some experience raising tortoises and I directed him towards this site. If we can't find the owners I'll probably post update the site in a few weeks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you think your dog brought it in?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you get in a bind I'm in houston and can give it a proper temp home until we find a forever home.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where are you located in Texas? I can take it in .

Iveron

Austin, TX
Hey guys. I made the drive up to Austin to drop off the turtle today with my father. My cousin runs a reptile reserve and is advising him on how to care for it. I appreciate the responses but he seemed a bit too excited about it last time I talked to him to take it away now. (He just called me telling me he was taking it to the vet tomorrow to get everything checked out, and had apparently run by the pet store to buy a uv and heat lamp earlier). I'll definitely get him to post an update on here as the tort grows.

-Edit: Also definitely possible that my dog brought it in, but i'm more confused as to how the tort got to my house in the first place. I don't live particularly close to anyone, and my dog is 16 so he's not going super far to fetch this thing. I have a feeling someone may have just decided to dump the poor guy.

Last edited:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's good news . Sounds like you found him a good home . Read the care sheets we have in the sulcata section.