Found the cutest name for my tort!

hollygaucas

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
At first I thought my tort was a girl so I called ‘her’ Tinkerbell, then I had thoughts that ‘he’ was a boy so I called ‘him’ Trevor.

I then realised you can’t tell the gender on a tort until about 5 year old so I decided to name my tort based on a unisex name. But what?

I was thinking of about different shades of greens, none suited. That took me onto animals that were green. But none sounded right for my tort. I then went onto foods which were green. And that’s what gave me the idea.

Everyone meet Pickle!

IMG_4289.jpg

Destben

Kansas
Cute!!!! I had the same problem whit finding a gender neutral name. I went with a Pokémon name that felt was appropriate for a tortoise it’s Torterra it means rocky peak earth. Cheesy but it worked.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Cute!!!! I had the same problem whit finding a gender neutral name. I went with a Pokémon name that felt was appropriate for a tortoise it’s Torterra it means rocky peak earth. Cheesy but it worked.

Cute name!!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

oh hey! My tort’s name was Turtwig until I realized no one got the reference lol

San Jose
At first I thought my tort was a girl so I called ‘her’ Tinkerbell, then I had thoughts that ‘he’ was a boy so I called ‘him’ Trevor.

I then realised you can’t tell the gender on a tort until about 5 year old so I decided to name my tort based on a unisex name. But what?

I was thinking of about different shades of greens, none suited. That took me onto animals that were green. But none sounded right for my tort. I then went onto foods which were green. And that’s what gave me the idea.

Everyone meet Pickle!

View attachment 226628

Aww how cute pickle is a great name! I named my baby Russian tortoise Sheldon. It was very easy to tell my tort was male. One his colors are very dark and distinct, his beak is sharp and his front arms are big and muscular and he has very long claws and a very long tail. My sister has a female Russian and she looks so different her face and beak are round not sharp, she has short claws and a tiny tale and she’s more green and her shell is more round. And she gives kisses lol my tort he gets grumpy if he’s looked at too much lol

hollygaucas

Manchester
Aww how cute pickle is a great name! I named my baby Russian tortoise Sheldon. It was very easy to tell my tort was male. One his colors are very dark and distinct, his beak is sharp and his front arms are big and muscular and he has very long claws and a very long tail. My sister has a female Russian and she looks so different her face and beak are round not sharp, she has short claws and a tiny tale and she’s more green and her shell is more round. And she gives kisses lol my tort he gets grumpy if he’s looked at too much lol

Thanks! I wanted to call my tortoise Sheldon, but I didn’t know what gender it was. Awe bless! Haha! How old is your tortoise?

San Jose
Thanks! I wanted to call my tortoise Sheldon, but I didn’t know what gender it was. Awe bless! Haha! How old is your tortoise?

He’s 7 months old. He just so adorable I love to watch him eat. He knows who I am now for sure when he sees me he bobs his head and when I call his name he comes to me just so sweet.

hollygaucas

Manchester
He’s 7 months old. He just so adorable I love to watch him eat. He knows who I am now for sure when he sees me he bobs his head and when I call his name he comes to me just so sweet.

Oh cool, mines 3 months old. Awe how cute, I read that tortoises have a high IQ and they recognise their owners.

San Jose
Can I just ask how long you’ve had him for?

Yes they are a very smart species. I’m trying to train my baby to come to me when I call him, so far it’s worked once, I know he knows his name for sure because when I call his name I watch his eyes... we make deep eye contact that’s how they speak and he blinks very long like he’s telling me... yes I’m right here. Lol and when I hold him I make direct eye contact and I coo at him and it’s like he’s in a trance very content he doesn’t do that with my daughter or husband in fact he gets upset and hides in his log lol not with me he stays out and let’s me pet him and then he marches over to his food and eats! I always tell him to eat!

hollygaucas

Manchester
Yes they are a very smart species. I’m trying to train my baby to come to me when I call him, so far it’s worked once, I know he knows his name for sure because when I call his name I watch his eyes... we make deep eye contact that’s how they speak and he blinks very long like he’s telling me... yes I’m right here. Lol and when I hold him I make direct eye contact and I coo at him and it’s like he’s in a trance very content he doesn’t do that with my daughter or husband in fact he gets upset and hides in his log lol not with me he stays out and let’s me pet him and then he marches over to his food and eats! I always tell him to eat!

Awe that’s so cute, where do you train him to do this? Wow, you must be really special then!

hollygaucas

Manchester
I’ve had him for one month. I want to get him in a routine I give him warm baths and he likes it, relaxes him.

I’ve had mine for a few days now, he has a bath every night! Can I ask what temperature his enclosure is and what percentage your humidity is at? I just want to make sure my tortoise is being looked after properly.

San Jose
Awe that’s so cute, where do you train him to do this? Wow, you must be really special then!

Thank you so much, not to toot my own horn but I too feel a very special connection to my tort I think I may have a bit of that animal whisperer in me lol I know he knows I love him very much... I can see it in his eyes when I tell him.

San Jose
I’ve had mine for a few days now, he has a bath every night! Can I ask what temperature his enclosure is and what percentage your humidity is at? I just want to make sure my tortoise is being looked after properly.

I keep his tank around 75-80 and the humidity around 70 and he really likes that. When I had the temp more hot say 80-90 and the humidity around the same, he looked uncomfortable and lethargic now he’s happy and runs around his tank and stands on top of his log to bask.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Thank you so much, not to toot my own horn but I too feel a very special connection to my tort I think I may have a bit of that animal whisperer in me lol I know he knows I love him very much... I can see it in his eyes when I tell him.

That is so cute, he’s such a mummy’s boy!