Found this little tortoise in my yard and need help please!

Jessicavelena

My yard is apparently becoming an animal rescue center and the newest fellow to wander onto the property is this tortoise.

I have experience taking care of them from working at a desert rescue a few years back, but our tortoises were older,huge, and usually in good health.

He (I think) has numbers painted onto him and pieces of his shell are missing. But I'm not sure if that is old or what. Planning on a vet visit soon.
I'd love any info you can give me about it based on the photo.
Our property is big enough to home him until we decide what to do. We're building a proper housing structure soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20140525_131647109.jpg
    IMG_20140525_131647109.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 109

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Wow that guy looks in rough shape. Looks like a DT,not to big,just looks like he has been through the wringer (a few times)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate it when I have to disagree with a previous response, however (neener, neener, David) this is a russian tortoise. It is someone's escaped pet, as they're not native here or wherever you are. So, don't bother building a proper housing structure until you do all you can to find his owner...an owner who put out good money at a pet store to buy him, and has been taking care of him and probably missing him like crazy. The old white scars are from a previous encounter with a dog. And the numbers are the way some people distinguish between the animals in their collection.

Welcome to the Forum, Jessica. Sounds like you've had a nice experience with tortoises.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Last edited:

Jessicavelena

Thank you. Pretty sure I know who the owner is. There's a flower shop at the end of my block that keep a few tortoises in a baby pool outside. They're not open till tomorrow.
I'll gladly give the guy back. I've searched Craigslist to see if anyone posted, but my neighborhood is a lot of Asian immigrants who don't really use the Internet. But yes, if I can find his owner, he can certainly go home.

Right now he's sleeping under a hut I built him, have burrowed into the dirt.

Also, any idea on how old he might be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's full grown. Past 15 years for sure. And because of the hard times shown on his shell, probably over 20.