Found tortoise - can you help. me identify?

MamaSita

Location (City and/or State)
California
This guy (or gal) just appeared near my house on our remote country property in inland Northern California. We have never seen a tortoise or turtle here before. He is about 7-8" long. Scaly skin, long tail, and long pointy claws. Very cute. Thank you!IMG_2373.jpegIMG_2374.jpegIMG_2376.jpegIMG_2377.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Western Pond turtle native to Oregon and Washington...he looks like he needs a soak...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since you've been handling it, it would be a good idea to give it a soak in a large tub for 30-40 minutes and then put it back right where you found it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The western pond turtle, Actinemys marmorata, is illegal to own. This is the time of year that females leave the water looking for good nesting sights, and males go looking for females. I couldn't see your turtle's tail, but I think it's male. Is there a waterway of any sort nearby? canal, ponding basin, etc?

MamaSita

California
The western pond turtle, Actinemys marmorata, is illegal to own. This is the time of year that females leave the water looking for good nesting sights, and males go looking for females. I couldn't see your turtle's tail, but I think it's male. Is there a waterway of any sort nearby? canal, ponding basin, etc?

No water nearby. It's very mysterious. We are concerned our large dogs will mess with it. On the upside, they keep other predators off our property. We have 14 acres all fenced on a rocky, southwest-facing slope. We actually have been developing a seep into a pond about 400' uphill from where we found it so maybe word got out. :) We are not wanting to own this turtle--just to help it out however we can. I'll try to get better photos to determine if male or female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They DO wander pretty far from their water source, but he might also have gotten out of someone's backyard pond.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

It's illegal to keep them in Washington and Oregon as they are native here...and threatened...but why would they be illegal to own in Calif?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's illegal to keep them in Washington and Oregon as they are native here...and threatened...but why would they be illegal to own in Calif?
It's California's ONLY native turtle.