Found tortoise, injured, need to locate rescue group

Teresa1768

Hello,

My neighbor just called because she found this tortoise in her driveway. Apparently she ran over him when she pulled into her garage. I have him in a plastic tub in my house. He has a crack that was bleeding just a small amount on his underside. (Please see pictures) He immediately climbed into the pan of water I put in the tub. I have no idea what kind he is or how bad this injury is. His legs/feet seem fine. He appears fairly active. I would say his shell is about 6-7 inches long. Can someone help me locate a rescue that will accept him? I live in Riverside, CA. Curious, do you think he is native or an escaped pet? I have never seen a turtle/tortoise of any kind around here before.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Teresa

Attachments

• tortoise1.jpg
    tortoise1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 153
  • tortoise2.jpg
    tortoise2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 140
  • tortoise3.jpg
    tortoise3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 140

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Looks like an escaped pet, a Sulcata. I can't help with finding a rescue but I know we have a lot of members who may be able to help you find one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G should be able to help with a rescue, she is also in Cali, not sure how close to you. She in fact may be able to take it in herself. It is a sulcata, not native. Please do try to find its rightful owners. They can escape fairly easy. They are,like bulldozers. In the mean time, keep him warm, about 85 keep him hydrated, low water dish and keep him on paper towel, to keep the wound clean. Also soak him in warm water every day for about 20 minutes to help keep him hydrated, until you can find someone to take him.

Teresa1768

@Yvonne G should be able to help with a rescue, she is also in Cali, not sure how close to you. She in fact may be able to take it in herself. It is a sulcata, not native. Please do try to find its rightful owners. They can escape fairly easy. They are,like bulldozers. In the mean time, keep him warm, about 85 keep him hydrated, low water dish and keep him on paper towel, to keep the wound clean. Also soak him in warm water every day for about 20 minutes to help keep him hydrated, until you can find someone to take him.
Thank you for responding and for the advice. I will try to find the owner before I contact the rescue.

Prairie Mom

They eat mainly non-fertilized grass and weeds. Here is a link to a diet sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/ My understanding is that too much fruit is unhealthy for them, but MAN!-if someone drove over my tortoise, I'd love her rescuer to give her a piece of strawberry or some pumpkin guts! Anything to cheer her up and get her eating!

Also, if you don't mind me saying so...I vote for turning him into a rescue. The poor little guy may need medical care. I googled the club Yvonne mentioned and am providing you a link here just in case you decide to go this route...http://www.tortoise.org/cttc/cttcmore.html I also found this yellow pages listing:http://www.yellowpages.com/huntington-beach-ca/mip/california-turtle-tortoise-club-473389770 -Not sure if the number is valid, but at least these are places to start.

My feeling is, you could STILL make every attempt to contact the owners, through flyers, craigslists, etc and if they contact you, you can let them know exactly where you turned their tort in for some expert help.

I wish you the best and think you're great for helping this little guy out!

Last edited:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and welcome to the forum. Very sorry that your tort is injured. Take care and good luck.

M

Maggie Cummings

He's a beautiful Sulcata, obviously someones pet. Please keep his wound clean. Keeping him on paper towels would be best and please keep us posted...