Found, young sulcata in Boston!

Studio12b

Location (City and/or State)
BOSTON, MA
Hello! Stumbled across a sulcata tortoise yesterday, in Allston, Massachusetts. Took it inside when I realized it was an escaped pet and not a wild native. Tortious Interference, as we've been calling it, is currently in a make shift habitat munching on grass and kale and I'm grabbing it a UV light today. Long-term, I've found a local rescue who will take it in and re-home. Short term, I'd like to try and find the original owner. Posters are going up, but looking for help doing a bit more. Anyone know of breeders it may have escaped from in Boston? It seems to be very young, barely as big as my palm, and I have small hands. Anyone know of vets in the area that serve tortoises? I'll call and leave my info, already alerted New England Wildlife and the Boston Animal Rescue League. Or even better, is this your tortoise?

IMG_20180909_153638824.jpg IMG_20180909_153740397.jpg IMG_20180910_183004641.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is quite an unusual-looking shell for a sulcata tortoise. And the front leg scales aren't very prominent like they should be for a sulcata.

@Markw84 What do you think?

I know nothing about your geographic area, so am not any help in that direction. But there is a good tortoise rescue on Long Island -
www.turtlerescues.com/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really is just a tiny baby! More than likely its owner had set it out for some sun and a bird came along and took it up, dropping it near where you found it. They do that to break them open so they can then eat the contents. The owners must be beside themselves with worry.

Please place 'found' ads in any venue you have available to you, and put up fliers on utility poles in the neighborhood. But don't give too much info. Just say, "Found Tortoise" and make the callers I.D. it

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow, very nice “find”. Good looking shell and different. While you are searching for its owner, it would really help to place it in a small tupperware type tub and put a few inches of warm water in there so it can soak for 15-20 mins or so. Don’t feed any “sweets” like apples or carrots.

Hope the owner comes knocking soon!

You might search on Crsigs list for “Help - lost Tortoise” ads.

Studio12b

BOSTON, MA
It really is just a tiny baby! More than likely its owner had set it out for some sun and a bird came along and took it up, dropping it near where you found it. They do that to break them open so they can then eat the contents. The owners must be beside themselves with worry.

Please place 'found' ads in any venue you have available to you, and put up fliers on utility poles in the neighborhood. But don't give too much info. Just say, "Found Tortoise" and make the callers I.D. it

Good idea, I'll do that. I'd like it to find its way home, not just to someone looking for a free tortoise.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is quite an unusual-looking shell for a sulcata tortoise. And the front leg scales aren't very prominent like they should be for a sulcata.

@Markw84 What do you think?

I know nothing about your geographic area, so am not any help in that direction. But there is a good tortoise rescue on Long Island -
www.turtlerescues.com/
That is a sulcata and looks to be a year old sulcata that has been well cared for. It is a bit small for a year, but it is growing nice and smooth. Someone was doing a pretty good job with it!!

Studio12b

BOSTON, MA
Good news! After a week and a fake out call (Yes, that's my turtle. Describe it? Uh...it lives in the water.) I received a call from the original owner who described it exactly and the area it was found matches. Little guy dug his way out of an enclosure. Crafty!

Taking him home today. Thanks for the help, everyone, I think he had a very comfortable stay at my place thanks to all the advice.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Good news! After a week and a fake out call (Yes, that's my turtle. Describe it? Uh...it lives in the water.) I received a call from the original owner who described it exactly and the area it was found matches. Little guy dug his way out of an enclosure. Crafty!

Taking him home today. Thanks for the help, everyone, I think he had a very comfortable stay at my place thanks to all the advice.

Ha! Nasty poeple...Good job on caring for him and findind the owner!

wccmog10

Georgia
Wow- that is great news. I for one appreciate what you did for the tortoise and it’s owner. If I ever have an escape I hope I get help from my neighbors like this!

EdMurphy

Minnesota

Thank You for putting in the effort to reunite them, thats awesome!

elenkat27

Lagrangeville
Wow so wild that a baby that tiny could dig it's way out of the enclosure! I know sulcatas are diggers but still!