Four of five suspects identified in turtle torture case

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Jeff Preval, WGRZ.com July 10, 2015

NIAGARA FALLS, NY - We're learning more about the investigation in Niagara County of the despicable beating and torture of a turtle. The SPCA says it's identified four out of five males involved in the incident.

Earlier this week, the SPCA says it thought only one male at an alcohol fueled party last month bludgeoned a turtle with a bat.

"We've spoken to some individuals who attended the party, who confirm that there were two individuals, the bat was handed off," said Amy Lewis, the executive director of the Niagara County SPCA.

Investigators say they've identified who one of males with the bat is. Officials are now turning to public, hoping to learn who the second teen is. The video doesn't show his face.

"The footage really only shows him from the torso down, so there are no shots of his face or his head, we can tell he was wearing jeans and boots and a black T-shirt that's about the extent of it," Lewis said.

The party was at a home in Wolcotsville, which is near Lockport. Cell phone video -- posted online -- shows a mob surrounding the turtle and beating it.

In addition to identifying one male with the bat, investigators have identified three teens at the party. Officials say the three will face animal cruelty charges. And, another will face violations with the Department of Environmental Conservation, for allegedly picking up the turtle off a road in Newstead and bringing it to the party.

"From our interview with him, he had said his intentions weren't to harm the animal, but he just thought it was kind of cool and wanted to show everyone and then he'd release it," Lewis said.

But, that is far from what happened.

And now the SPCA is tracking down multiple tips, hoping to identify their final suspect. Officials have not released the names of those who have been identified, because some are juveniles, others because they have not been charged yet. If you have any information about this case, the SPCA asks you to call: 731-4368 extension, 309.

The SPCA says animal cruelty charges will be filed sometime next week in the Town of Royalton court. The charges will be misdemeanors, not felonies, because it wasn't a domestic animal like a dog or a cat that was abused.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
That's sickening. They wil get a slap on the wrist and be sent home - the law really doesn't seem to care much for animal abuse.
i would say what I think they deserve but the punishment would probably be worse than what they will get so I'll just keep my opinion to myself

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
They say "alcohol fueled party " alcohol has nothing to do with bad actions . They say because it wasn't a dog or a cat but if it was a baby wild bird would it been the same or is it because it was a reptile ? We in AZ just had a drunk 14 year old in s car -van colisation put a mom and a baby in the hospital in bad shape .

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes. I echo your opinion. Out here we've people with pet chickens and then there are all the 4-H kids critters. Don't try and tell me none of them or any of my tortoises aren't “domestic animals" never mind, we'll take care of these 4 guys ourselves !
“The charges will be misdemeanors, not felonies, because it wasn't a domestic animal"

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It will be a much different story if he is bludgeoned a dog or cat with a bat. it will be in the national news.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
They say "alcohol fueled party " alcohol has nothing to do with bad actions . They say because it wasn't a dog or a cat but if it was a baby wild bird would it been the same or is it because it was a reptile ? We in AZ just had a drunk 14 year old in s car -van colisation put a mom and a baby in the hospital in bad shape .
Totally! I have never known anybody to have the urge to go and kill defenceless animals after having a glass of wine.
I have a dog and a tortoise and love them both equally, how dare anyone say that because the tort wasn't a domestic animal that it has any less right to live and not be abused, traumatised or killed! Arghh! :mad:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I agreed that drinking is no excuse for bad behavior. I believe that people just use that for an excuse when they exhibit bad behavior and are trying not to be accountable for their actions. :(

Turtlepete

South Florida
Your actions when intoxicated are typically things you would like to do when sober, but know not to. Excessive alcohol tends to suppress logic and reasoning capability.

Basically, those involved are sick pieces of excrement regardless.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sickening. Until they treat animal abuse like it should be treated, as a horrific crime with big fines and maybe even some torture to the human thrown in, they will never stop it. Hit them where it hurts, then hit them again and maybe people will think twice about abusing and/or neglecting any animal. Sick S.O.B.'s

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm glad to see that the authorities are doing their jobs and going after the perps. Any punishment is better than no punishment.

Personally I think it would be fair to do to them what they did to the helpless animal.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Horrible.
I like a drink, or two, or twenty, but I don't then take a cricket bat (or baseball, or whatever) and start beating up animals, or indeed ,wifey.
It's no excuse and neither is the domestic animals bit.
Lock 'em up.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Horrible.
I like a drink, or two, or twenty, but I don't then take a cricket bat (or baseball, or whatever) and start beating up animals, or indeed ,wifey.
It's no excuse and neither is the domestic animals bit.
Lock 'em up.
I don't like the idea of locking them up for 3-5 years , so us tax payers can pay for them , take of their health , their food , or their housing . I'd rather see them do charity work, like 5years of helping fish and game ( no pay ) free of charge they can care and protect the wild things that they hurt ! And they will have to care for them selves as well ! Now they learn not us tax payers .