Frankie Tortoise Tails: Frankie, Purgatory and the Smog in China

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, Alabama
Seven days until Frankie's Big Move.

If you've been counting you'll notice it's seven days and not three days due to one little word not appearing on one piece of paper of many, many, many papers to close our new house in Mobile. That's right. The closing of our house was cancelled at the last minute because Greg's name didn't appear on an insurance paper that had NOTHING to do with ownership of a house.

Yes, I am in House Closing Purgatory.

Poor Frankie was the primary victim of one little word. Once we closed on the planned Friday date we would promptly run to Lowe's and buy fence posts and cement and for an entire weekend put up Frankie's new privacy fence. The completion of said fence would take the entire week but those all important fence posts needed the attention and dedication of four persons. Once posts are up the pickets could be completed during the week after everyone got off work.

In the mean time I would be back in Birmingham packing and preparing Frankie for the big move.

That everything would work like the Boulder, Colorado's Atomic Clock is denying the very real existence of House Closing Purgatory. Closing was postponed to Monday.

So Frankie's Fence was not going to get done in time. Four adults of which only one is a Frankie Expert try to decide on a solution.

My favorite is the one where Frankie will live in our friends's screened porch for five to seven days.

If that idea didn't cause you to drop to the floor and laugh your arse off then you don't currently own or have ever owned a 100 pound sulcata tortoise.

Another idea involved putting up a temporary metal fence.

Really?

I guess the thing that is hardest for people to understand is what a 100 pound sulcata tortoise will do once he topples the metal fence like it's tooth picks. Frankie will go on a big walk.

Unlike dogs, sulcata tortoises don't stick around their neighborhood. Sulcata tortoises don't respond to whistles to beckon them home. Large sulcata tortoises walk until it's dark. A Sulcata Big Walk is much farther than most people can image.

So, I put my foot down.

In seven days time I will drive Frankie five hours from Birmingham to Mobile, all the while Frankie drops buckets of poop and gallons of pee in our small Prius automobile surrounding me in a fecal smog that will rival the near record smog in Harbon, China where visibility is less than 10 meters.

Did I mention there will be a howling cat, too?

With Frankie and large sulcata, there is no easy path: it has to be done thinking the worse and acting to avoid it all all cost.

I wonder where I can buy a hazmat suit.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Oh my! My heart and prayers go with you both! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][FLUSHED FACE]

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You always manage to give me a laugh (unfortunately at your expense) when I'm down. I can just picture you in your car with a gas mask. I can only imagine what a 100 lb Sulcata's poop smells like. When I'm upstairs I know when it's time to go downstairs and clean my Cherry Head's enclosure immediately, and he's still small. I wish you and Frankie all the luck in your new home Leann. Keep those stories coming. Everyone who owns a baby should know what they are in for when they get big. Funny as it seems, I know it must be a lot of work.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Hahahaha oh goodness. I feel like there should be a fun crew with you documenting this move.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, how I love when I see a Frankie thread. I would love to be a little fly on the dash board for that trip. Have a safe one. Get lots of paper towel, a garbage bag with a twist tie and couple cans of air freshened. Have a safe, fun trip. I will be looking forward to the "Surviving Frankie's Expedition" thread:D

Kara

5 Year Member
ROTFL!! Poor you.

Seven days until Frankie's Big Move.

If you've been counting you'll notice it's seven days and not three days due to one little word not appearing on one piece of paper of many, many, many papers to close our new house in Mobile. That's right. The closing of our house was cancelled at the last minute because Greg's name didn't appear on an insurance paper that had NOTHING to do with ownership of a house.

Yes, I am in House Closing Purgatory.

Poor Frankie was the primary victim of one little word. Once we closed on the planned Friday date we would promptly run to Lowe's and buy fence posts and cement and for an entire weekend put up Frankie's new privacy fence. The completion of said fence would take the entire week but those all important fence posts needed the attention and dedication of four persons. Once posts are up the pickets could be completed during the week after everyone got off work.

In the mean time I would be back in Birmingham packing and preparing Frankie for the big move.

That everything would work like the Boulder, Colorado's Atomic Clock is denying the very real existence of House Closing Purgatory. Closing was postponed to Monday.

So Frankie's Fence was not going to get done in time. Four adults of which only one is a Frankie Expert try to decide on a solution.

My favorite is the one where Frankie will live in our friends's screened porch for five to seven days.

If that idea didn't cause you to drop to the floor and laugh your arse off then you don't currently own or have ever owned a 100 pound sulcata tortoise.

Another idea involved putting up a temporary metal fence.

Really?

I guess the thing that is hardest for people to understand is what a 100 pound sulcata tortoise will do once he topples the metal fence like it's tooth picks. Frankie will go on a big walk.

Unlike dogs, sulcata tortoises don't stick around their neighborhood. Sulcata tortoises don't respond to whistles to beckon them home. Large sulcata tortoises walk until it's dark. A Sulcata Big Walk is much farther than most people can image.

So, I put my foot down.

In seven days time I will drive Frankie five hours from Birmingham to Mobile, all the while Frankie drops buckets of poop and gallons of pee in our small Prius automobile surrounding me in a fecal smog that will rival the near record smog in Harbon, China where visibility is less than 10 meters.

Did I mention there will be a howling cat, too?

With Frankie and large sulcata, there is no easy path: it has to be done thinking the worse and acting to avoid it all all cost.

I wonder where I can buy a hazmat suit.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats funny ! You have a way with words . If I could help ease your mind . I drove four hours with my 30 lbs sulcata . He only pooped once . I stopped at rest stops along the way all was good . A tortoise that big I would rent a small enclosed trailer from uhaul. Put some hay and then be on my way . Good luck hope you and your tortoise the best .

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I would LOVE to see pics of this adventure [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]