Freak accident spawns questions!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, All.
Just a little while ago, we heard a CRASH and some assorted noises. Hubby and I investigated the source the crash, and he's the one who realized that the light bulb from my Mississippip mud turtle's basking lamp had fallen out and shattered on her basking platform! There was glass in the water and some sort of white powder floating on top of the water. The bulb was just a plain incandescent bulb in a ceramic-based shop light. The base of the bulb is still in the lamp, and the wire filaments are dangling from the innards of the bulb. Millie (my turtle) was inside her hide at the time, so I'm POSITIVE there was no splash of cold water onto the hot bulb.
I've taken her out and put her in a kiddie pool in another room. I rinsed off her cave and a heater and put them both in with her, then added just enough water to cover her with about a half inch to spare. She can stay there for a day or so (there's no filter in it).

In the meantime, I will TOTALLY CLEAN every surface of her tank tomorrow, along with her filter.

My question is this: What is the white powder that was inside the light bulb??? Do I need to totally replace all her gravel and the media in her canister filter? I hate to lose all that bioactivity, but I don't want to poison her.
Any thoughts, ideas or similar experiences are welcome!
Thanks,
Mooz

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
A quick google search indicates that the powder inside a bulb is a metallic compound called "phosphor". It apparently glows under the right conditions. It supposedly does not contain phosphorus or mercury. It is said to be non-toxic. BUT color me skeptical....
I think I'm going to replace all her gravel and everything inside her filter.
Dang.
But better safe than sorry.
I still would like to hear other people's experiences in case I'm over reacting (which I am prone to do!)
Thanks again,
Mooz

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
A quick google search indicates that the powder inside a bulb is a metallic compound called "phosphor". It apparently glows under the right conditions. It supposedly does not contain phosphorus or mercury. It is said to be non-toxic. BUT color me skeptical....
Dang.
I still would like to hear other people's experiences in case I'm over reacting (which I am prone to do!)
Thanks again,
Mooz
It should be fine, but I'd at least just give everything a good rinse. Diluted white vinegar is safe to use as a cleaner.

Sometimes if the bulb has more wattage than the lamp itself it can explode, but I'm not totally sure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Dang.
Thanks again,
Mooz

If it was just a regular or frosted incandescent, the powder may have just been something like silica for diffusion.

Phosphor is usually more for fluorescent or MVB where it changes the spectrum emitted by the bulb, either more visible light or specific portions of the UV spectrum.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
You might try attaching some sort of screen mesh to catch any future bulbs from falling. Hopefully it doesn't happen again but would be best to be on the safe side.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would change it all out. I would be very nervous about shards of glass in the water. I'm glad your turtle is fine.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
As was mentioned, a phosphor is something that absorbs some light and emits another longer wavelength light. Its very common in LED, CFL, and MVBs, since they emit specific narrow wavelengths and want a broad, incandescent-like spectrum (group of colors). It wouldn't be likely used in an incandescent bulb, and so I agree with the above that its likely some inert silica (smaller size sand) to add diffusion. You would know this from the glass being frosted. That said, changing out all the gravel and stuff to avoid small glass shards is a good idea, but I wouldn't lose all your bioactivity changing out the filter pads and such.

Good luck!