Freaking out....Creepy crawlies in my room

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Ugh!
I just found a larva of the common carpet beetle in my room. I only see one of them every couple of months, but still it freaks me out.
Nothing touches my bed wiithout my permission!! (Even Jerry had to learn this the hard way. We had a deal, he doesn't get close to my bed and I don't destroy his spiderweb and kick him out into the cold. He broke the rule twice, so he had to be relocated. Sorry Jerry. )

Objectively the larvae could almost be called cute as they are tiny and furry, but I don't want them in my room!
Ugh, now I am constantly checking everything to see if more of those things appear. I am kinda thinking about sleeping on the couch tonight, but then they would win.

Sorry for the ramble. Im just a teeny, tiny bit disgusted at the moment.

(>_____<) Whyyyyyyyyyyy?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Can you bomb the room or house? I'm not referring to an explosive 😊
That would drive me nuts.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I have to ask. Is Jerry a pet spider or a wild one that was allowed to keep his camp ( until he broke the rules of course)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I'm not going to use any chemicals, at least harsh ones unless I see more than one larva every few weeks. It sucks because the whole floor is covered by a carpet which can't be removed. I think I am going to try stuff like neem oil first. I'd be way too paranoid to continue sleeping in this room if I had sprayed everything with chemicals. :p

Jerry was a tiny wild spider which had found shelter in my room. He now lives behind a wardrobe in our living-room (psht! Don't tell my mom!)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I hate insects but I feel bad when I kill them. I wouldn't sleep in my room for a long while if I found organisms like that.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
I would sprinkle diatanasious earth (sp) on the carpet. It is non toxic and should kill anything living without harming you or the tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but more than the occasional vacuuming usually does away with creepy crawlies in your bedroom.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
I absolutely hate it when any type of insect finds its way into my bedroom. I find that area as my safe place and bugs are definitely not allowed!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Freaking out....Creepy crawlies in my room

I do vacuum regularly, but the problem is that there are several nooks etc where I just can't reach. Just cleaning below the bed is a pain in the butt as it is a sofabed which refuses to allow you to reach below it without almost breaking your arm.

:/

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
drier air and less humidity helps! if it's cold where you are,and your heat is on,,will help! I had those,everywhere a few years ago,and I had to completely thoroughly vacuum .. the other thing is,,sprya the outside of your window sills of each window with any spray(or use DE in the cracks of your windows) and the adult beetle will die before coming in your house to nest and lay eggs in the fall. worked 100% for me :))
everyone has them in some case in their homes,,not everyone will see them,,totally normal,and harmless :)

Cycere

Re: RE: Freaking out....Creepy crawlies in my room

Yvonne G said:
I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but more than the occasional vacuuming usually does away with creepy crawlies in your bedroom.

Oh snap, that's sounds a little snarky, Yvonne :p

peasinapod said:
I'm not going to use any chemicals, at least harsh ones unless I see more than one larva every few weeks. It sucks because the whole floor is covered by a carpet which can't be removed. I think I am going to try stuff like neem oil first. I'd be way too paranoid to continue sleeping in this room if I had sprayed everything with chemicals. :p

Jerry was a tiny wild spider which had found shelter in my room. He now lives behind a wardrobe in our living-room (psht! Don't tell my mom!)

Hmm. I occasionally have mercy upon the speeders. Besides, they keep away the creepy crawlies :D Maybe Jerry was on your bed keeping the forbiddon larvae from trespassing :0 And then you punished him! *gasp*

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Thanks for all your tips and encouragements! Guess now I finally have the motivation to vacuum a bit more carefully and to clean out the wardrobe a bit more regularly. ;)
I have yet to see an adult beetle, I've only seen the occasional larvae but I never investigated what it could be. (If I don't know what it is, I can just forget that it exists :p)

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I had an October spider named Scarlet that would stay outside right beside my porch light. She was my company when I would go outside to smoke she would drop her Web down and check out what I was doing. Then she had a million children. One night I went out and it was a shower of babies. I didn't mind then I felt something moving in my hair. Upon instinct I whipped my hair around only to discover I killed my little friend. Now I have all of her children and their children calling my rhododendron beside my porch home. Sorry scarlet you got too close for comfort.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
TiyahLove said:
I had an October spider named Scarlet that would stay outside right beside my porch light. She was my company when I would go outside to smoke she would drop her Web down and check out what I was doing. Then she had a million children. One night I went out and it was a shower of babies. I didn't mind then I felt something moving in my hair. Upon instinct I whipped my hair around only to discover I killed my little friend. Now I have all of her children and their children calling my rhododendron beside my porch home. Sorry scarlet you got too close for comfort.

Aww no! At least her legacy continues :/

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Freaking out....Creepy crawlies in my room

Here a few pics of the cleaning process. 1390942707840.jpg
1390942731908.jpg
1390942760057.jpg

Thats how much space I have to work with. My arm barely fits in there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Yeah, I don't like living with bugs either so imagine how I feel with cricket and roach colonies (purposely bred in bins!) in our basement!
We have a friend who owns a petstore; he had a customer routinely order house geckos to release into his home to kill the bugs... You could do that! :D Then you have to deal with gecko-poo though...
Get Diatamaceous earth. Someone else mentioned that; old, old remedy that works. My brothers-in-law are professional exterminators and they even use it!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I've heard a lot about Diatamaceous earth, I'll try once I am back from skiing. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please make sure the Diam. Earth is food grade and not the type sold for pool pumps....especially if there is any chance animals or reptiles will come in contact with it...heck, people as well....the food grade is good.

Also, don't worry much about a beetle...after all, all of our homes are host to a multitude of critters that we will likely never see....which happen to be my fav invaders...the ones I don't ever want to see...lol...