Freaking out!! nurse gave shot different

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hey guys,
As you know my baby leopard had gotten a RI and has been receiving shots for it. My husband went out of town so I had to go into the vet for her shot today because I am scared to do it myself. The nurse instead of giving it in her arm plunged it into her shoulder. She seems ok but I’m scared to death that she could have hurt her. What are your thoughts on it? I’m freaking out.

Destben

Kansas
It's fine there.

It just freaked me out. I can’t give her a shot by myself she’s so little and it scares me. They way she did it she pushed the needle all the way in (and by that I mean the whole needle not just under the skin) I have just been freaking out that she poked her lungs or something. . .

Tortgrl43

Your vet has a nurse?
I too think it's fine but I certainly understand your concern

Destben

Kansas
Your vet has a nurse?
I too think it's fine but I certainly understand your concern

Vet assistant. The vet was not in and she has to have her shot every 3 days so I went in assuming the vet would be there because I asked that they schedule me when the vet is there.

Destben

Kansas
Update: Torterra is doing fine today and the next time I go in the real vet will be there. Thank you all for your comments and dealing with my new tort mom nerves, you all are life savers!

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
Probably a Licensed Technician that went to school just like the Vet to be able to preform similar tasks as the Vet.

Destben

Kansas
Probably a Licensed Technician that went to school just like the Vet to be able to preform similar tasks as the Vet.

Well you can either go to school to be a veterinary assistant or you can work in the office a certain amount of time and take the state test (in PA). Neither guarantees that they know much about reptiles most places will get you ready to work with more main stream pets like cats and dogs. So there is no guarantee that she had ever worked with a tortoise before.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Many of my friends who went to med/nursing school say they used oranges and other fruit in their phlebotomy training.

Not sure if possible, but maybe consider practicing on a thin skinned fruit like a plum or a peach?

IIR, the most important parts in the process are making a parallel insertion, proper depth, initial extraction of blood then a smooth injection stroke.

If you have any friends in the medical industry, just about all of them are trained and can offer help and make you more comfortable.

Destben

Kansas
Many of my friends who went to med/nursing school say they used oranges and other fruit in their phlebotomy training.

Not sure if possible, but maybe consider practicing on a thin skinned fruit like a plum or a peach?

IIR, the most important parts in the process are making a parallel insertion, proper depth, initial extraction of blood then a smooth injection stroke.

If you have any friends in the medical industry, just about all of them are trained and can offer help and make you more comfortable.

She only has the one shot left and the reptile vet will be there. Thank you though that’s a really good idea! I just hope she can forgive me, she thinks she’s getting a shot every time I pick her up now.