Fred's home...almost complete now

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hersey, MI
First I want to say "Thank You!" to everybodies help in getting our Fred settled in & taken care of properly. It would have been a bunch of guess work without all your input.

Okay, here's Fred's home with the new plants. I also put some moss in his hide & a patch of clover from out in the yard. He already munched on some of the clover. I found some baby violets in my flower beds so there are a few of those scattered about too.

I installed a paint roller pan for his pool. He seems to really like that. He's been in it twice in the last couple of hours. It's about 3" deep, and instead of the deep end only being about 3-4" wide it is about 7". So he has a nice little pool in the back of it.

The last pic is of one of the plants I bought last night. They did not have a name on it & I can't figure it out. Can anybody help with this? I know the two in the background are toxic. I was able to figure out that they are Dumb Cane & Pothos, so it looks like they will have to sit on top of his home. Oh well, it'll give him some canopy. That front one is the only one I can't figure. I got all from Meijers & they only had them labeled as "Tropical Foliage". That really helps the consumer out.

100_2444.JPG

100_2453.JPG

100_2460.JPG

100_2467.JPG

100_2478.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Fred's home looks wonderful! He is one lucky tort! The plant I think you are asking about is another Dumb Cane (Diffenbachia) and they are toxic. I see a lot of pothos in people's enclosures, so maybe that's one of the plants that torts just don't eat, so it's OK.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You have done a simply wonderful job! I have used pothos in both redfoot hatchling enclosures and in hingebacks with no problems. OF course neither groups took more then maybe a nibble or two at most out of them.

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Hersey, MI
Thank you for all your praises. I'm just glad we were able to make life a bit better for him. We all love watching him roam around.

There is one thing I haven't had any luck on finding, and that is how long they live in captivity. My daughter keeps asking me but I can't find any answers for captivity.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The problem with even trying to guesstimate on long they may live is difficult because in the past our overall understanding of them was so very incorrect, so life spans were short. Each day we are learning more and sharing it with each other, and as a direct result these amazing animals are living longer and longer every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.