Free roaming tortoise just sits there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I let Percival roam free in my friend's backyard since it is full of dandelion and clover. At night I bring him in and put him in his container.

Most of the time he is very active - he walks the length of the yard three or four times, stopping to graze here and there as he wishes.

The last few nights however, before it even gets dark or anything, he has been sitting in this one spot behind some bushes by her backdoor. He wedges himself in between the bushes and the brickwall making it really difficult and traumatic for the both of us - him and me - to get him out of there to put inside for the night.

I live in Louisiana, it stays above 70 at night, and her backyard is pretty safe. Should I leave him outside all the time? Should I go through the trouble of getting him out of the bushes? Why does he do this? Why is he just sitting there, out of the sun, away from grass, tucked in his shell for hours???

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
i live in California and have Three sulcatas.
I always bring them in at night, They usually start trying to come inside at around 5:00 pm.
However, the past few days have been different. they dont want to come in. The weather is staying pretty warm (for us anyways) at about 65-70 at night. i guess they feel comfortable outside. I just leave them alone and they seem happy.

Eric

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
well what would it mean when he just sits huddled in his shell for hours on end?

and also his urate came out today kind of slimy...like goo

AMBene

10 Year Member!
Janiedough, where in Louisiana are you? I am in Slidell.

AMBene

10 Year Member!
Very close. I grew up in Baton Rouge.
Is Percival doing better? I have let my 2 little leos out and they love being outside. I am working on an outdoor enclosure for them with a secure lid. They are still quite tiny, so only go out supervised.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
He sat out in the sun today. I think he was just being lazy and wanted a secure spot to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.