Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Many new members don't know how to PM.
Others wouldn't think of it perhaps.
But it is a point.
If we see a post, we can react.
If it's PM we'd never even know.
Bet this happens anyway, sometimes.
It may be true that new members do not know how to send PMs but they eventually learn.
My experience as a moderator on another (not tort related) forum suggests that PMs are certainly sent by new newbies. We have a minimum of 5 forum posts before a PM can be sent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Like Yvonne, I wonder what percentage are people looking to flip a beloved pet for money, and what percentage are people that don't really want or need to be involved in the daily chit chat on our forum, but really do have a good home to offer. A lot of people read our threads, but never join. Might be because they are just shy, enjoy their privacy, don't want any drama, or any number of other valid reasons.

I still have fait in humanity and assume most people are good people. Doesn't mean I don't realize that baddies are out there.

I should also note that I don't mind someone taking in an unwanted pet and selling it, for a profit, to a good home. As long as they are honest about what they intend to do and the animal is treated humanely at every step of the process.

Clunk

If I ever had to get rid of my Clunk for whatever reason (moving, no longer able to care for him) I certainly wouldn't just start a "free tortoise to good home" thread. I would read posts of long-time members and send private messages to those whom have convinced me that they have years of experience in caring for Testudo horsfieldii, asking if they would be willing to accept another one into their brood.

IMO Russian Torts require more care and supervision than dogs or cats. They're very curious and strong, easily knocking over anything in their path. They require a special habitat and need to be bathed regularly. Their water and food dishes need to be cleaned regularly, sometimes several times a day (unlike dogs or cats, torts will defecate in their food or water).
I honestly believe being a tort owner is not something you do on a whim, it is a long term commitment to your pet's health and happiness, especially since many torts will easily outlive dogs and cats by a decade or more.

I sometimes cringe when I hear new tort owners chirping about how cute their new baby is - do they really know what they are getting themselves into?