Freezing Without Blanching

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last week someone dropped off these KIMG3660.JPGKIMG3661.JPGSo I did an online search for the easiest way to freeze the tomatoes and peppers. It's easier than I expected so I froze them. Today someone dropped all this by.KIMG3674.JPGSo I did another search on freezing squash. It's the same way as freezing peppers. I wish I knew how easy it was to do a long time ago. Made applesauce with apples using the insta pot. It's like eating an apple pie without the crust.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, how lucky.
I have just placed jalapenos peppers in freezer bags and froze. Did nothing to them. I have done the same in the past with tomatoes. Never froze squash.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I like tray freezing and then storing in plastic bags. You can take them out as much as you need. I've only done green tomatoes that way. That's a nice gift. I would probably rather do the ripe tomatoes in jars though so they don't take up room in the freezer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow, how lucky.
I have just placed jalapenos peppers in freezer bags and froze. Did nothing to them. I have done the same in the past with tomatoes. Never froze squash.
I've frozen blanched squash before and it did fine. Yesterday I cut and laid some slices on parchment paper separated on cookie sheets for a few hours until frozen. Then put them in 1/2 gallon freezer bags. I'll thaw some out in a few days to see how they did.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I like tray freezing and then storing in plastic bags. You can take them out as much as you need. I've only done green tomatoes that way. That's a nice gift. I would probably rather do the ripe tomatoes in jars though so they don't take up room in the freezer.
I love fried green tomatoes

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bad thing with canning them in jars is if it gets screwed up, you don't know it sometimes until too late and then you just have to throw them out. Freezing is safer. But yes, takes up freezer space unless you have an extra freezer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
The bad thing with canning them in jars is if it gets screwed up, you don't know it sometimes until too late and then you just have to throw them out. Freezing is safer. But yes, takes up freezer space unless you have an extra freezer.
This is what my freezer looks like today. KIMG3676.JPGKIMG3675.JPGAbout 90% of this is for my pups. I stock up when meats are on sale or reduced in price. Last week Food Lion had both Boston butts and chicken thighs for .99 a pound. So I bought about 40 pounds of butts and a little over 50 pounds of chicken thighs. I cut the butts into steak size pieces and then freeze. I go through a lot of meat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what my freezer looks like today. View attachment 380004View attachment 380005About 90% of this is for my pups. I stock up when meats are on sale or reduced in price. Last week Food Lion had both Boston butts and chicken thighs for .99 a pound. So I bought about 40 pounds of butts and a little over 50 pounds of chicken thighs. I cut the butts into steak size pieces and then freeze. I go through a lot of meat.
Nice size freezer. It's good to keep them full, cheaper to run.