Fresh Banana Stalks for Sulcata?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm just guessing, because I don't know for sure, but it seems the banana flower might be a bit like feeding the fruit?????? Afterall, the flower does turn into the fruit, right?

I'll have to grab one next week. The flower pod wouldnt have any of the sugars, etc like the fruit itself. Just like apple or any other fruiting fruit or vegg, the flower is different than the fully developed fruit/vegg.

I'll see, thanks for your sage advice, much appreciated. Happy Holidsys to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That makes sense. Afterall, a peach blossom is just that, a blossom, and not the sweet peach. So probably the same with the banana bud.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I never thought to offer the blooms to mine. I just went out to get one and here is what they look like.Picture 1687.jpg Picture 1689.jpgPicture 1692.jpg I left this one out for Walker, but not sure if he is even going to venture out today due to rain and 50 degrees F.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Thanks Len. Can see all the baby banana fingers n there. Be interesting to see Walker's interaction with the pods. I'm guessing he will eat them up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've tried banana flowers with my elongated before - no interest in them. I was surprised, because he devours both banana and pretty much all other flowers, but apparently banana flowers aren't a winning combo. It tasted pretty bitter to me.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I've tried banana flowers with my elongated before - no interest in them. I was surprised, because he devours both banana and pretty much all other flowers, but apparently banana flowers aren't a winning combo. It tasted pretty bitter to me.

Thanks Sarah. Happy holidays to you. I'll get one on our next grocery trip and see what our Sully does with it. @Turtulas-Len has some all ready for Walker...so, lets see his interaction.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Walker finally ventured out after the rain stopped yesterday. He looked at and smelled the bloom walkersmelling.jpg And then turned and walked away from it. walkerwalkingaway.jpg He showed no interest in it, This doesn't surprise me, because he is spoiled and has unlimited access to the foods he has been eating for years.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Walker finally ventured out after the rain stopped yesterday. He looked at and smelled the bloom View attachment 195641 And then turned and walked away from it. View attachment 195642 He showed no interest in it, This doesn't surprise me, because he is spoiled and has unlimited access to the foods he has been eating for years.

Thanks Len, doesnt surprize me that our spolied suuly's turn their noses up at newly introduced foods. Like kids with liver, or some other new taste.....first NO, then maybe a taste, then a favorite. Thanks for documenting your results.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Man i was just wondering about banana/Plantain leaves! One of my buddies grows them in our high desert and was thinking that it could be a good food for hugo. I dont think he gets fruit since his freeze down every year but they come back like a forest! Glad to know that it could potentially be a food!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yep..... our Sully now devours large banana leaves as part of his diet. Our banana trees are really pushing up big large leaves so i trim off the older leaves and feed them every few days.