Frogs , Crabs , and Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
If your wondering why I haven't shown you have to create an awesome water fall and misting system yet it because I am saving my pumps for when I create my Vivariums.
I am going to salvage the wood from the stand 3 by 8 and 4 by 6 enclosure in my room to make a 2 foot wide, 5 foot tall and 5 foot long that will have 4, 2 feet wide and 5 feet long enclosures built into. I am going put it on wheels so I dont have to carry it lol anyways
I am going to utilize false bottoms, hydro balls, waterfall pumps, moss growing substrate and a whole bunch of other things to create a very active Vivariums for my tortoises. Vivarium foam inserts

I was wondering if any other forum members put frogs like little tree frogs, maybe a salamander, amphibians such, maybe hermit crabs in with their tortoises ? What about roaches?
Any other little critters I could put in the Vivarium with the tortoises ? I want to create a very active live Vivarium

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You cannot put frogs in with anything other then their own species. Small hermit crabs you can put in with torts. I have know idea about roaches. I would just squish them if I ever seen them:p

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member

An example of what I am talking about

Why can u not put frogs in with any thing else
that's how they live in wild lol

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have hermit crabs in with my leo's seem to :)do well together I wouldnt put a tree frog or a salamander in with them :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First they would actually have to come from the same area to ever be in the wild together. Then, they actually would probably never come across each other in the wild. Also, the wild, besides being bigger than we could ever give them, isn't a small enclosed or closed environment. We can't provide what mother nature does and in the space she does it in.:D

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
wellington said:
First they would actually have to come from the same area to ever be in the wild together. Then, they actually would probably never come across each other in the wild. Also, the wild, besides being bigger than we could ever give them, isn't a small enclosed or closed environment. We can't provide what mother nature does and in the space she does it in.:D

Uuuuggghhh ur right lol :D

coreyc said:
I have hermit crabs in with my leo's seem to :)do well together I wouldnt put a tree frog or a salamander in with them :D

Where did u get you hermit crabs lol

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I get wild frogs in my out side turtle garden I even had one little snake. I worry that they could carry diseases. I would not keep them together in the house or on purpose.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some species would cross in the wild. I am thinking mainly of the US water turtles (RES,painted,soft shell among others) but of course they would most likely be seen as food (frogs and toads). As for keeping insects with your tortoises I would be concerned about the bugs harming and or eating the tortoises. For example crickets If I remember correctly are not meant to be left in certain lizard enclosures because they eat them or certain body parts. Chameleons and their eyes come to mind.

So here would be my concerns 1) why do you want to do this I only ask because I am curious 2( What type of relationship the other creatures would serve prey, enclosure maintenance, friendship. and 3) how would they affect the tortoise in the long run, could they injure the tortoise over time, could they transmit a disease or parasite.

See whenever I think of doing something for my tortoise I think mainly of the tortoise not how I feel about doing it, but what the tortoise would want. For example when I move in a year or two I was thinking of making a combined RES and box turtle enclosure because I thought it would be neat to have those 2 species together, and I know box turtles love to swim. As I thought it over I realized that the box turtles would need a sloping pond on all 4 sides to be able to get out easily. not a big concern mind you, but as I thought it over I think I will make separate enclosures for them so that I can give the RES the pond they truly deserve and give the box turtles the sloping one they will need.
whew sorry to be so long winded

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I don't have any good advise on this one but I see where you're coming from, it sounds like a cool idea! Not sure it'd work out... But a cool idea nonetheless!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Yea I agree with the Captian, I was mainly trying to find a way to add creatures tthat would help keep the cage clean. I don't think my tortoises would like it very much though

Now just gives me an excuse to create a whole different Vivarium for frogs maybe :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know of red foot keepers on this forum who keep hermit crabs in the enclosure, but sadly they often eat the hermit crabs, so in all honesty I don't think those red foots mind very much. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh my I didn't know crickets were bad to leave in a lizard cage. Good thing I read this thread. Thanks Captain and Rabecca :)

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
I currently have two moon crabs in my terrarium with my redfoot. They've been in there for two months now. The original reason was for tank maintance but they actually make it worse!! The crabs are very dirty creatures.. So now it's time to set up a new terrarium. As far as them hurting my redfoot I just don't see it. The crabs are very fast and extremely scared of my tort. My tort does have fun trying to dig out the crabs sometimes. But most times neither wants any thing to do with the other. Current setup is 32" x 5' so they have plenty of space there's also a waterfall and a good sized pond. I'll try to post pics later.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Jessadawn said:
I currently have two moon crabs in my terrarium with my redfoot. They've been in there for two months now. The original reason was for tank maintance but they actually make it worse!! The crabs are very dirty creatures.. So now it's time to set up a new terrarium. As far as them hurting my redfoot I just don't see it. The crabs are very fast and extremely scared of my tort. My tort does have fun trying to dig out the crabs sometimes. But most times neither wants any thing to do with the other. Current setup is 32" x 5' so they have plenty of space there's also a waterfall and a good sized pond. I'll try to post pics later.

O yes pictures! !!!!! Please please

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I plan to use Toads in my outdoor enclosures to control bugs, I'll have to we have native Toads everywhere. I see no problem with them in the terrarium with certain species of tortoise. I would not put them with redfoots, I think the redfoots would eat them and that could be bad for the redfoot. But I have had tree frogs in with Peanut and with the leopards with no issues, but I stopped doing it because when I have to clean up after the torts the frogs get stressed and try to make a break for it. So in the spring I will try toads that will be raised inside from eggs. Of course once they get bigger and no longer eat the fruit flies I will move them to outdoor enclosures to deal with slugs and wood roaches.

I do keep crabs, they are pets not tank cleaners, they are messy little butt heads, they like to redecorate, dig and spread lettuce around, but I really enjoy them as much as the torts. I have one named vanity because within the first week he switched his shell like 20 times trying on every shell before he found one he liked. I have one that refuses to get out of his ugly painted shell. I have one little guy that just molted and moved in to a fancy spiky white shell that is way to big for him but he seems to really like it and since he moved all the appropriate sized shells to get to it I guess he wanted it. I would not put them with my redfoots because they are pets and as peanut grows he will move out of the tank but the crabs will stay and probably get a new hatchling to live with.

So while I don't always follow the never mix species, I do also believe the setup needs to cater to the inhabitants not just be alright for the group.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
I plan to use Toads in my outdoor enclosures to control bugs, I'll have to we have native Toads everywhere. I see no problem with them in the terrarium with certain species of tortoise. I would not put them with redfoots, I think the redfoots would eat them and that could be bad for the redfoot. But I have had tree frogs in with Peanut and with the leopards with no issues, but I stopped doing it because when I have to clean up after the torts the frogs get stressed and try to make a break for it. So in the spring I will try toads that will be raised inside from eggs. Of course once they get bigger and no longer eat the fruit flies I will move them to outdoor enclosures to deal with slugs and wood roaches.

I do keep crabs, they are pets not tank cleaners, they are messy little butt heads, they like to redecorate, dig and spread lettuce around, but I really enjoy them as much as the torts. I have one named vanity because within the first week he switched his shell like 20 times trying on every shell before he found one he liked. I have one that refuses to get out of his ugly painted shell. I have one little guy that just molted and moved in to a fancy spiky white shell that is way to big for him but he seems to really like it and since he moved all the appropriate sized shells to get to it I guess he wanted it. I would not put them with my redfoots because they are pets and as peanut grows he will move out of the tank but the crabs will stay and probably get a new hatchling to live with.

So while I don't always follow the never mix species, I do also believe the setup needs to cater to the inhabitants not just be alright for the group.

I have two hermit crabs an Equadorian and a purple pincher :) my Equadorian is in an ugly painted shell as well and refuses to move :-/ they are both medium sized hermit crabs when I get my tort could I put them in the same enclosure? I'm trying to free that tank up for fish for my son :)

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
DanaLachney said:
ripper7777777 said:

I have two hermit crabs an Equadorian and a purple pincher :) my Equadorian is in an ugly painted shell as well and refuses to move :-/ they are both medium sized hermit crabs when I get my tort could I put them in the same enclosure? I'm trying to free that tank up for fish for my son :)

Yes they do well with small torts. Keep in mind they do need salt water, Equadorian more so than purple pinchers, this is from my own experience, the so called experts will say differently. I do not keep salt water in with the torts, just declorinated water. I give the hermit crabs a salt water bath once a week or so when I clean out the cage and stir the mulch. Truthfully I have no real idea if they want or need the salt water, but I still offer it to them just in case they do need it.

The crabs like lettuces and they love cuttle bones, they thrive in high humidity and seem to get a long fine with Tortoises, mine interact quite often.

I do use store bought Hermit crab food, but I only put it in after the torts have gone to sleep and than remove it in the morning. I have one Hermann that seems to really like it and I'd prefer DigDug stay on a tort diet.

The Hermit Crabs love the Cypress Mulch I use as a substrate, so really they mix well with my little guys. I do add a branch or two since they love to climb trees.

Oh and I find the torts will constantly move the empty shells around, I have no idea why but they do.

If your trying to set up a Terrarium, Crabs are perfect for it and you can use a water fall filter to create humidity or even just an internal small filter in a water bowl.

The tetrafauna filters come in fake rock and a log, you can get just the filter and use it as a water fall. They are cheap and clean the water, you will have to control the depth so the torts and others don't sink, but I have seen false bottoms made from plastic sheets with holes drilled in it. I have also seen tiny rock fountains made, where the water is held under a false bottom and the water has no depth it pours over rocks, this works well for a lot of frogs and really kicks out the humidity.

Think small version of this garden fountain

51930e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.