Frogs , Crabs , and Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
Yes they do well with small torts. Keep in mind they do need salt water, Equadorian more so than purple pinchers, this is from my own experience, the so called experts will say differently. I do not keep salt water in with the torts, just declorinated water. I give the hermit crabs a salt water bath once a week or so when I clean out the cage and stir the mulch. Truthfully I have no real idea if they want or need the salt water, but I still offer it to them just in case they do need it.

The crabs like lettuces and they love cuttle bones, they thrive in high humidity and seem to get a long fine with Tortoises, mine interact quite often.

I do use store bought Hermit crab food, but I only put it in after the torts have gone to sleep and than remove it in the morning. I have one Hermann that seems to really like it and I'd prefer DigDug stay on a tort diet.

The Hermit Crabs love the Cypress Mulch I use as a substrate, so really they mix well with my little guys. I do add a branch or two since they love to climb trees.

Oh and I find the torts will constantly move the empty shells around, I have no idea why but they do.

If your trying to set up a Terrarium, Crabs are perfect for it and you can use a water fall filter to create humidity or even just an internal small filter in a water bowl.

The tetrafauna filters come in fake rock and a log, you can get just the filter and use it as a water fall. They are cheap and clean the water, you will have to control the depth so the torts and others don't sink, but I have seen false bottoms made from plastic sheets with holes drilled in it. I have also seen tiny rock fountains made, where the water is held under a false bottom and the water has no depth it pours over rocks, this works well for a lot of frogs and really kicks out the humidity.

Think small version of this garden fountain

Hmmm I'm thinking I can get really creative with my torts habitat when I start building it >:) but I have a question regarding my hermits I got them for my kids because I had one as a child but it didn't live long :( I've had them since December and they don't DO ANYTHING lol they rarely come out of their log to even eat or drink. Now I know they are nocturnal but I monitor their water, cuttle bone and food bowls and such daily. and barely any activity. Also I did not know Dora was and Equadorian or a male :( at the time I got my purple pincher (no name) but later I found out they really don't like to be around each other just with their own species :-/ is anything wrong with them?

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Well they are pretty shy creatures, but they should get active at night, they will slow down in low humidity and low temps, the enclosures I have them in are low of 80 and 60 to 80 % humidity, at this moment I can't see through the glass it's so wet in there, of course it's been raining here for a month so our humidity is like 90%.

They like to climb, they like burrow and they like to eat. I had an Equadorian in with a purple pincer and it did well, but I moved it to a tank in my daughters room and I think it got to much AC when they left the lid open and it died, I'm guessing from the cold. I have since moved them all to Tort enclosures so I can monitor the heat.

Again they are pretty lame pets, funny little creatures though, but nothing you'd watch for hours. The funniest thing mine do is when their coming out of the tort hide if they see somebody they will close up and roll back down the hill. Also late at night I can hear them banging around as their shells hit the glass and in the mornings when I remove the towels I'll surprise them eating left over lettuce.

Just make sure the heat is up and the humidity is up they can only breath in high humidity.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
Well they are pretty shy creatures, but they should get active at night, they will slow down in low humidity and low temps, the enclosures I have them in are low of 80 and 60 to 80 % humidity, at this moment I can't see through the glass it's so wet in there, of course it's been raining here for a month so our humidity is like 90%.

They like to climb, they like burrow and they like to eat. I had an Equadorian in with a purple pincer and it did well, but I moved it to a tank in my daughters room and I think it got to much AC when they left the lid open and it died, I'm guessing from the cold. I have since moved them all to Tort enclosures so I can monitor the heat.

Again they are pretty lame pets, funny little creatures though, but nothing you'd watch for hours. The funniest thing mine do is when their coming out of the tort hide if they see somebody they will close up and roll back down the hill. Also late at night I can hear them banging around as their shells hit the glass and in the mornings when I remove the towels I'll surprise them eating left over lettuce.

Just make sure the heat is up and the humidity is up they can only breath in high humidity.

Well that's the thing I'm having trouble with the whole humidity thing so when I get my sullys I'm gonna move them into their habitat :) I misted the hermit crab tank like everyday I still don't feel like its good enough :( they also do not like their fruit treats I bought for them either or anything else for that matter besides their regular food and cinnamon toast crunch I occasionally put in their dish *shrugs shoulders* but their still alive so I must be doing something right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.