from 20 Gallon Long to a 75 gallon 48"x18" , light, heat, etc help

MissFreshRR

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Cali
So I'm picking up a 48" x 18" x 24" aquarium for my 4 month old Sully. My question is light set up and heat set up. Any suggestions on what I should buy to maintain adequate temps through out. I will enclose the top to maintain humidity as best I can. THANKS!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unless it's real cheap don't buy the aquarium. They are expensive for the short time you will be using it. Get large tote boxes that can be connected together to make larger enclosures until he can be moved outside.
But, if you insist, I would get a tube flourecent and a Che or you might need two. Also get a thermostat to put the Che's on.

MissFreshRR

Southern Cali
they're on sale 1 buck a gallon so pretty inexpensive for the 75 gal. can you send me a link of what your talking about?

Unless it's real cheap don't buy the aquarium. They are expensive for the short time you will be using it. Get large tote boxes that can be connected together to make larger enclosures until he can be moved outside.
But, if you insist, I would get a tube flourecent and a Che or you might need two. Also get a thermostat to put the Che's on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
IMG_2849.PNG IMG_2850.PNG I don't have any at this time that I can get a pic of. But it's the big plastic storage totes.
Here are a couple from Home Depot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You would have to do it. When I was using them back in 2011 for my hatchling leopard, I cut a hole in two of them. A hole on each end, making sure they lined up with each other. Then I made a tunnel to go between the two. I just used a plastic cup that fit in the hole and cut the bottom out of the cup. However, you can use pvc or whatever, or just line them up and connect them together some how. Like rope or bungle cords. You can connect as many as needed is why I like them.

MissFreshRR

Southern Cali
oh wow, that's very creative! I never would have thought of that. Thanks for the advice! I'll talk it over with hubby and see if he has time to do something like that. I'm not very handy and he works 6 days a week 10 hours a day so I know he's exhausted on his day off and just wants to enjoy the kids.

You would have to do it. When I was using them back in 2011 for my hatchling leopard, I cut a hole in two of them. A hole on each end, making sure they lined up with each other. Then I made a tunnel to go between the two. I just used a plastic cup that fit in the hole and cut the bottom out of the cup. However, you can use pvc or whatever, or just line them up and connect them together some how. Like rope or bungle cords. You can connect as many as needed is why I like them.