from saudi Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.

braVo

5 Year Member
heylo all...
i had two Desert tortoise for almost a year. i named then johnny and bravo...johnny is no more with us, it dies abt two month ago. they were babies when we got them. they were about the size of my palms. johnny was always less active and didn't eat much from the day we got it. i beleive he was sick from when we got him but we never noticed. then they went to hibernation. bravo wld eat but jhonny wld only eat in like 3 or 4 days. at the end he wldnt move in summers...just turn around in one place but neve walked walked further. now m left wid bravo. i live in a apartment and the climate is very hot n humid over here. i m trying my best to survive bravo. bravo is just beautiful. i notices some patterns on his shells. he eats well...before i used to feed them only lettuce now though i have started reading abt them i give a variety now. like peas,carrots,sticks. i also giv him a sun bath every morning for abt 10 min or so.... he is in the other room and that room is always warm...i dont have a garden or nethng 4 him...he just finds corner place and sleeps. at times i see bubbles from his nose and i get worried if he is sufferring from the respiratory disease. here the vets r no good. we had taken johnny to the vet 3 days before he died...and the vet had given us some capsule that we had to feed hime forcefully...i think it was the darn medicine that killed him quicker. so i cant trust the vets around here. what else can i do to help bravo b healthy. he had dry skin like flaky so i apply lil extra virgin olive oil to his skin n shell....so thats taken care of. i am not sure if i should put him in water these days with the runny nose they do get their water frm the veggies the eat. he pees n poops jst fine. abt the uv light...cldnt find here...not even at the pet stores...i knw dats a necessity especially wid da babies....thats y i giv him a sun bath almost everyday....tell what more can i do..? please.
i have attached the pics of bravo...check out the patterns on his shell...isnt it just beautiful mA.

Attachments

• 26072011840.jpg
    26072011840.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 31072011847.jpg
    31072011847.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum
Enjoy your visits

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Bravo does have very beautiful shell patterns. Never seen anything like that before. I'm sorry about Johnny. :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do he have a enlcosure? or do you just have them on the floor?
You need to have a place you can regulate the temps.
What kind of calcium do you feed? Sunshine is Very important.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi braVo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Its important for you to set Bravo up in his own little habitat so that you can provide the correct moisture, heat, light and humidity for him. He looks very dry.

I'm not real sure, but I think Bravo is a little Russian tortoise. He's starting to show signs of calcium deficiency.

You can buy greens at the store to feed him. Then sprinkle a calcium supplement over them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome ....I would say that while you may enjoy him walking around the house, this should not be where he "lives" in my opinion, he needs a place in which he can go to get warm as well as he NEEDS either natural sun light on him or a artificial source of sunlight for the UV rays...the sunlight is not optional, it is necessary for the life of your tortoise. He will not thrive in life if he does not have access to the UV rays....his health is designed to have the UV rays.

I know that there are dark green leafy foods all over the world and this is also necessary along with the veggies (veggies should only be about 10% of his diet) please try to get him a bit more greens in his diet...do you have dandelion weeds where you are? if yes, these are a great source of nutrition for your tortoise (just make sure there are not weed killer sprays in the dandelion weed)

Bubbles from his nose alone can be fixed up by making sure his temps are increased to keep him warm....this is where a heat light/lamp is so important, also, since he is on the floor so much, he is picking/ingesting up any tiny particles as well as coldness from the floor (i know you may not be able to feel that coldness but I assure you he does)

He is beautiful, I hope you can make some changes and all works out well for you two :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Can you post a picture of your tortoise's plastron (bottom shell)? I'm not quite sure if it's a Russian or a Greek tortoise.

Danny

braVo

5 Year Member
Laura said:
do he have a enlcosure? or do you just have them on the floor?
You need to have a place you can regulate the temps.
What kind of calcium do you feed? Sunshine is Very important.

No not a enclosure, we have carpeted floors and the room is pretty warm. i feed bravo these veggie sticks which has calcium in it. i give him a sunbath every for like 10-15 min...is dat enuff..?

Please check the pix...i feed him these veggie sticks abt 4-5 evryday.

egyptiandan said:
Can you post a picture of your tortoise's plastron (bottom shell)? I'm not quite sure if it's a Russian or a Greek tortoise.

Danny

Attachments

• 31072011848.jpg
    31072011848.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 31072011849.jpg
    31072011849.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 01082011851.jpg
    01082011851.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 01082011854.jpg
    01082011854.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 01082011857.jpg
    01082011857.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a Jordanian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp.

Danny

braVo

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You have a Jordanian greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ssp.

Danny

REaLLy?! i dint know i thgt it was a desert tortoise. thxz. do i have to do nethng different with this kind. i have been reading abt desert tortoise all this while..plz tell me more abt these kinds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi BraVo:

When we say "desert tortoise," we are usually referring to the Gopherus agassizii that is native to the western part of the United States. Your tortoise is native to North Africa and countries around the Mediterranean, and is probably called a "desert tortoise" by the people who find them in the wild there. You can look for care help using the term "Greek" tortoise, rather than "desert" tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.