Frusturated

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm so annoyed. I rarely get on the reptile-channel tortoise forum (and every time I go on there there is an older post concerning redfoots that I always feel a litte late when answering) so I decided to help RF owners out... So I posted recommending redfoot owners to Terry's redfoot care sheets and a person, who isn't a moderator, isn't a turtle or tortoise owner, only owns one gecko (on a tort/turt forum!), wrote me back, telling me that my post was soliciting and breaking the forum rules! He's not even a moderator and is a total newbie to reptiles!

Here's the rule he posted:
"Dude, this is against the rules. RC's rules read:

4. No solicitations.
No unsolicited or unauthorized advertising. This includes promotion of items for personal financial gain, as well as promotion of an item or issue for the purpose of mass communication. Further, mass posting or ‘spamming’ the community is not allowed."

Here is what I posted:
"I'll save all you Redfoot owners a lot of time and tell you about one of the best places for redfoot care guidance:

Best Redfoot care sheets I've ever found:
http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

And the best place I've found to go for questions concerning tortoises has been tortoiseforum.org.

Hope this helps [BigGrin]"

I was just trying to be helpful ya know...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doc. You seem like a great person. Try not to let the narrow-minded buffoons of the world get to you. When it comes to doing the right thing and helping an animal, I toss administrative "rules" to this side.

I believe you did the right thing by posting helpful info.

Sleep well tonight with a clear conscience and one more good deed added to your lifetime tally.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
No worries. There were always be someone trying to **** in your pool =] Can't make everyone happy!

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
It's like the old saying:

Don't argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You go Jordan.. you just got a taste of what I deal with daily!

You have just been educated:

"If you think education is expensive.. try ignorance"!

Thank you for your support...

NERD

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I for one really appreciate the friendly people like you who reach out to help. I wouldn't have considered your post to be soliciting at all.

Please keep providing your insight and experience to those of us who appreciate and use it. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree with Greg,
Plus do not lose your time by being frustrated for some stupid like that. What you did was really nice and please do not stop doing it because of people like that :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sadly it is easier for some people to be uptight and not light hearted and fun like the people here!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Ya did good Jordan. I think because Terry sells tortoises that must mean "solicitations and advertising". Maybe if it was just a care sheet with no advertising to sell it might have been OK. They could have let it slide though and maybe your post wasn't deleted. I printed out just the care sheet without any name on it and pasted it on enclosures in some pet stores that were selling Redfoots. One person thanked me, the others asked me not to do it again.....sad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, because that person was NOT a moderator, your post with the good link information is still up for anyone to read.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How dare you try to help people out...clearly that is against the rules!!

Do you think maybe he meant you're not allowed to post links to other forums? I got in trouble once on a chihuahua forum (I belong to a million forums- don't judge) because I invited someone on there to join another forum.

That's weird that a member who wasn't even a moderator sent you that message...kind of not their place...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
They actually PM me today and said they were sorry and that they "could be considered as one of those people who acts then thinks." So I'm glad that its all nice and tied up and that they showed some humility. Case closed ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ChiKat said:
Do you think maybe he meant you're not allowed to post links to other forums? .

That's weird that a member who wasn't even a moderator sent you that message...kind of not their place...

Yes, in that forum you are not suppose to show or encourage folks to go to other sites.

Hmmm not their place...hmmmm...so nothing like that would EVER happen in here right? :D:D

Since I am a member there, I asked for a clarification and this is the official answer about the rule:

"You CAN: post a link to another forum if you are using it to back up (supplemental) information to an answer to a question. For example: if a member asks for help with a snake you can post an answer and then post a link to another forum that has the same information.

You CANNOT: create a post directing others to another forum. For example: The first post in a topic may not advertise for another forum and encourage members to go there."

So your not going against the rules in there.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
GRRRRR I just got an email from the reptilechannel forum and here is what it said:

"Hello,

I'm writing to inform you that the link to the forum in your post:
http://board.reptilechannel.com/Topic108906-9-1.asp
was removed for violating our Solicitations Forum Rule.
Although we allow members to post links to other forums for use as information to questions on the forum, we do not allow posts to be created directing our members to outside forums.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Community Moderator"

.... All after the other person admits their fault!

I get their concern, but I'm not seeking for a mass exodus from their site.... I want people who have urgent tort questions (like the time no one had responded to the person whose tort was dying simply from dehydration on there and need advice)... I'm doing what is best for the reptiles.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( I hope it wasn't because I asked for them to clarify the rule to me, since the other person posted in the thread what they did, yet I saw other threads/posts where it was also done. I am sorry, if it was my fault.

Still you know for sure it's okay to do it like you have in several other posts you have made...as an answer to questions.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Its not a big deal, and I certainly don't blame you. It was all technicalities I suppose... its just unfortunate they don't actually bother to look at what I am actually trying to do (help RF owners)... But I was just annoyed at the situation when it first started, but now I don't really care. I'll still keep checking that board and posting what I think will help others. I like how the moderators here actually have names and personalities and look into things, there they just have the name "moderator"

Status
Not open for further replies.