Fully landscaped backyard looks nothing like the Sonoran desert but still want a desert tortoise. Anyone in my boat and how can I make it work?

Bowi

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
I’m fully aware of poisonous plants and have someone coming to do a yard check before I get my tortoise. I’m just wanting to see how others in my boat have created a space for their tortoise. Thank you 😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't know the exact percentage but I would say some place in the 90% range of those of us that have nothing in our yard that looks like the area our torts are originally from.
As you already said, check for any poisonous plants.
Be sure there is sun and lots of shade. Provide water in something large enough the tort can get into.
Have a heated hide box for those cold times.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My desert tortoise area is just a big grassy (bermuda grass) space with trees on the western edge. The tortoise has a cinderblock house that's always in the shade under a big mulberry tree.

Desert & Texas tort yards 3-10-14.jpg

This was taken in the spring before the tree fully leafed out, and the house is under that pile of leaves up near the fence. The desert tortoise yard is the one on the left.

I supplement the grass with opuntia cactus, any weeds I can find, grape leaves and occasionally some grocery store greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m fully aware of poisonous plants and have someone coming to do a yard check before I get my tortoise. I’m just wanting to see how others in my boat have created a space for their tortoise. Thank you 😊
Hello and welcome. Should be no problem. What part of CA are you in? Very different advice for Santa Barbara vs. Santa Clarita.

Be aware that most of the care info given for DTs is all wrong and will likely result in their death. This goes for government sites, tortoise sites, pet shops, vets, etc... Its terrible.

Here is the correct care info and questions are welcome:

Bowi

Ca
Hello and welcome. Should be no problem. What part of CA are you in? Very different advice for Santa Barbara vs. Santa Clarita.

Be aware that most of the care info given for DTs is all wrong and will likely result in their death. This goes for government sites, tortoise sites, pet shops, vets, etc... Its terrible.

I’m in Bakersfield

I’m in Bakersfield

I’m in Bakersfield

bioteach

10 Year Member!
I have a specific section that is walled in on three sides. The only access is a gate. The area faces south and I have planted desert plants that are good for tortoises such as hibiscus. Giving a tortoise the run of the yard could result in the tortoise getting lost because at the end of the summer they begin to wander. Also, that leaves the area open to other animals who might negatively affect your tort. If you have a swimming pool your pool must be very securely fenced because water deeper than a couple of inches could result in a drowned tortoise.

Bowi

Ca
I have a specific section that is walled in on three sides. The only access is a gate. The area faces south and I have planted desert plants that are good for tortoises such as hibiscus. Giving a tortoise the run of the yard could result in the tortoise getting lost because at the end of the summer they begin to wander. Also, that leaves the area open to other animals who might negatively affect your tort. If you have a swimming pool your pool must be very securely fenced because water deeper than a couple of inches could result in a drowned tortoise.

Bowi

Ca

Oh ok good info. Do you have a photo you can share of your tortoise’s space?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Whilst you have lots of space the good news is that you do not have to allocate the whole place to your shelled warrior unless you plan on a creep of tortoises. I suggest you search enclosures on past threads on here as some members have amazing set ups. You must have shade and sun and consider your access and escape proofing. I have a dug out oblong with wire netting base , cinderblock surround and an overlap of stone to stop climbing and exit.